1962 roadster convertible-trunk lid won't open.

fbono57

fbono57

fbono57
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The trunk lid unlocks, raises about an inch and then stops. I just hear a thumping noise. Anyone have any idea of what might be going on?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is the thumping noise the deck lid bouncing up and down on the tops of the locks as they spin? If so, then the pump is probably not turning on. Adjustment of the deck lock limit switch may be at fault. On 64-66 this switch is at the front right of the trunk where the deck lid closes on it; I don't know if it's the same on 61-63. Have someone hold the button on the console so the deck is trying to open then lift up on the edge of the deck lid. If the switch isn't adjusted right this might be enough to close it so the pump turns on. This link may be helpful:
https://tinyurl.com/yyyea3fc

The trunk lid unlocks, raises about an inch and then stops. I just hear a thumping noise. Anyone have any idea of what might be going on?
Thanks
It is probably a bad relay or solinoid . if i remember right,there are manual releases in the rear wheel wells.

Thanks guys. I will check it out in the morning. Just got the car. In the process of ordering the shop manual to get information.

Thanks guys. I will check it out in the morning. Just got the car. In the process of ordering the shop manual to get information.
Have fun. Chasing down the gremlins in the powered tops is almost a science. patience and logic will be your friend. Remember murphy's law. But that's the joy of figuring this stuff out is half the fun and the sense of satisfaction is well worth the frustration when in the end you can say " I did it! "

There’s an older gentleman in Pittsfield,NH that specializes in just these issues. He had been sent to various classes by the Ford dealership he worked for back in the day and has maintained an interest and talent to work on them. He’s the go to for lots of diagnostics in our NE club.

Well hopefully he will see my post and provide any recommendations. I did confirm the thumping seems to be the deck lid bouncing on the top of the locks as they spin after they have unlocked. Now I have to work on the deck lid open operation to figure what component it might be and if there is a way to troubleshoot. Thanks for all the input guys.

You might want to contact Mark Melargni who is in Dunstable, MA. He is an expert in Convertibles and retractable tops. His number is 978 512 9150. He fixed mine and went through it for me to make it reliable. Buck

Thanks Buck. I will give Mark a call if I cannot figure it out. Appreciate the contact. I’m in CT, so MA is a short drive.

Thanks Buck. I will give Mark a call if I cannot figure it out. Appreciate the contact. I’m in CT, so MA is a short drive.
If the top unlocks and only raised a little bit ,
I would help it till it is at a 90 (^up) and check the fluid level. Then operate it up and down to get the air out , having an assistant help so
You don’t just drop it while doing so.

Guys. The problem turned out to be a leak at the seal between the pump motor and the pump / reservoir housing. I was able to prop up the trunk lid using 8” wood pieces. I added type F transmission fluid to fill and within a few seconds of pump activation, the trunk lid raised. Can I replace the seal? I know other options are replacing the entire pump assembly or sending it out for rebuild. Any suggestions? Thanks for the info.

Yes I saw that kit and found a You Tube video from a guy rebuilding his Falcon pump. He did replace the brushes but did not video the brush change so I would think that is a little more complicated. The o-rings/seals changes were pretty simple. Thanks for the info as was very helpful

Back