1962 Question on reupholstering seats

phaelax
Last seen
I'm in the processing of redoing all the seats in my 1962. As I'm replacing the foam, I've torn down the frames, cleaned them up, and painted them as they were a bit rusty. I was attempting to replace the burlap patches that lay on top of the springs, but the wire (thin rods weaved through the burlap) is too rusted to reuse them. I can probably find something to replace that wire but is it necessary? Would the foam be ok over the springs without the added support of the burlap stretched over it?
image1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Nope, Why compromise your comfort and longevity for speed? Just bite the bullet and take them to a reputable upholstery shop and let them do the job. There is a reason they are built the way they were. You will kick yourself a few years down the road by taking shortcuts. You will be sitting on the frames in no time.

I'm in the processing of redoing all the seats in my '62. As I'm replacing the foam, I've torn down the frames, cleaned them up, and painted them as they were a bit rusty. I was attempting to replace the burlap patches that lay on top of the springs, but the wire (thin rods weaved through the burlap) is too rusted to reuse them. I can probably find something to replace that wire but is it necessary? Would the foam be ok over the springs without the added support of the burlap stretched over it?
View attachment 15961
Eventually it will cut into the foam. But almost anything similar will work to replace those wires

you can buy the burlap at any fabric store, upholstery supply house or on line. any wire will work, maybe use stainless so it will never rust. plenty of videos on YouTube too. look at all albrights supply on line. you of course can buy the vinyl/leather cut for your car from any of the t bird suppliers. or SMS fabrics

Back