1962 Generator system trouble

• Thread starter superjeannine28
  • Start date
Doug, just a note of correction. We are referring to a generator not an alternator. Just mental typo?
Yes, I meant to type generator and not alternator. Thanks for pointing that out I didn't want to confuse anyone.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

When you say a new voltage regulator, I wonder if its a new repro..
I can tell you that the "vibrating points" mechanical voltage regulators reproduced for
Chevrolets are complete junk in most cases; many convert to solid state or
have originals restored.

Update: I am getting 14.2 volts from the generator. I measured 14.2 volts at the regulator (1 lead on the ARM terminal & the other to ground). I'm not sure if this is the right way to see what is coming out of the regulator. But the battery is only reading 12.3. Could this be bad wiring from the regulator to the battery, or to ground?

Update: I am getting 14.2 volts from the generator. I measured 14.2 volts at the regulator (1 lead on the ARM terminal & the other to ground). I'm not sure if this is the right way to see what is coming out of the regulator. But the battery is only reading 12.3. Could this be bad wiring from the regulator to the battery, or to ground?
It sounds like the generator is working fine. I'd point to the regulator. The mechanical ones are adjustable. If you have it, the shop manual should have instructions on how to do it. If you have the old one try using it and see what happens.

The regulator has an A terminal, an F(ield) terminal, and a B(attery) terminal. The battery is connected to the B terminal. I would measure the voltage at the B terminal with the engine running at about 1000 rpm and also at the battery positive post with the engine running. The voltages should be nearly identical. If with the engine running, you get 12.3 at the battery post but 14 at the B terminal that would suggest a problem in the wires between the B terminal and the battery. If you get 14 at both then the generator and regulator are fine. If when you shut the engine off the battery post voltage drops to 12.3 it would suggest a bad or poorly charged battery.

I have been having a starting system issue with a 1962 thunderbird. Installed a new battery, new regulator and new generator. When I applied the battery cable, the generator started smoking. The car wasn't even on when the first generator went up in smoke. Any help or ideas would be very greatful.

It sounds like you have something wired wrong.
May I suggest a shop manual and trace out your wires between the the generator, regulator, and starter solonoid.

Did you polarize the installation before start up? That can be a problem

Did you polarize the installation before start up? That can be a problem
I did print out the previous post about how to and gave it to my technician. I believe he did the polarization, because nothing smoked when battery was connected. Thank you.

Back