• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Final Chance! **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

1961 Upper Control Arm shaft removal

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm rebuilding the Upper Control Arm (UCA). Got everything off except the shaft and bushings. Soaked the UCA for a days and the bushings won't budge. Before applying maximum force and damaging something, figured I'd ask for advice first. Any advice? I'd be much obliged.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm rebuilding the Upper Control Arm (UCA). Got everything off except the shaft and bushings. Soaked the UCA for a days and the bushings won't budge. Before applying maximum force and damaging something, figured I'd ask for advice first. Any advice? I'd be much obliged.
Press them out!

Your title "1961 Thunderbird" has been revised to reflect what your post is about. Please follow the posting instructions moving forward.

model-year.jpg

Press them out!
Thanks for your advice but the bushings are screwed onto the inner shaft and into the control arm, so you can't press them out. Since my 1/2" x 16' breaker bar wasn't budging it I got me a 3/4"x 18' breaker bar that did the job.

Back