1961 Stuck Emergency Brake

mtspin
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have just purchased a 1961 T-bird. The emergency brake will not release and I need to drive it home tomorrow. I have read everything on the forum regarding this issue and I have seen the posted pic of a release handle. However I cannot identify a release handle like that on my 61. It should be bone stock and not be modified. Can anyone help me more clearly identify the release on the 61? A pic would be great. In case it really is not there does anyone know a work around? Thanks in advance

There should be a chrome handle on the lower left side of the dash.
If it's not there you may have to manually release the lever with a screwdriver. This is not always easy.

There should be a chrome handle on the lower left side of the dash.
If it's not there you may have to manually release the lever with a screwdriver. This is not always easy.
Thank you- do you happen to have a pic for a 61?

SInce don’t have the car home yet, I want to be prepared to get it tomorrow. If anyone has a pic of a 61 release and also some advice on how to release with a screqwdriver as 74 Harley mentioned I would be grateful. Sorry to be such a newbie!

Try starting it and then put it in gear. Ford was a big fan of vacuum mechanisms. It may have a vacuum release. Otherwise there usually was a way to manually release. Usually a lever near the hinge and latch. Should be just a flat bar you can push it with your thumb.

The emergency brake on my 61 is foot operated. The release is also foot operated, located to the left of the pedal. I will send a photo as soon as I can figure out how to attach it.

my '63 has a foot pedal to engage the e brake and a chrome handle just below the dash on the left side. from above info it seems like '61 had the release on the floor next to the pedal. worst scenario is you get under the car and loosen the nut on the e brake cable adjuster/tensioner until it is very loose and the rear shoes are no longer pressed against the drums

I can tell you on my 63 Corvette ALL of the emergency brake cables were seized inside their sheaths. The brakes stayed partially engaged until I replaced everything. Worst case you could remove the rear drums and disconnect the emergency brake cables to get the car home. Not that hard of a job.

Picture of a 1961 Emergency brake.

Attachments

• 61ebrake.jpg
    61ebrake.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back