1961 rocker panel appearance

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm going to look at a 1961 tudor hardtop which is supposed to have original paint. Rocker panels: They look like the one attached photo. How does that look to the more experienced eyes here? The beige paint seems to stop and the bumps are a question. Is this a case where the factory put some kind of hardened "rocker paint" on there to protect it before spraying the body? I might consider this bumpy appearance road rash but.....
Also, the rear frame rails have what has been termed "surface rust". How does this look to you folks? I'm going for an inspection in a few days.
I have been a car guy for decades but have little T-Bird experience. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
tbird rockers.jpegimage1.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It doesn't look bad, I would take a pocket knife and knock a few of those bubbles off. They're probably a little bit of surface rust starting under the paint. You can do a serious clean up and wire brush most of the chassis rust off, depends on whether you want it to be a driver or show car. It looks like a good start for either.

It doesn't look bad, I would take a pocket knife and knock a few of those bubbles off. They're probably a little bit of surface rust starting under the paint. You can do a serious clean up and wire brush most of the chassis rust off, depends on whether you want it to be a driver or show car. It looks like a good start for either.
Thanks. I just want a solid driver that I can jazz up as we go. I can handle anything mechanical but I suck at body work other paint touch ups and cut and buffing.
If the paint is truly original I wouldn’t want to mess with it too much.

The first few pics aren't awful and treatment with some Ospho or Evaporust Gel would clean that up followed by a frame paint. The rear; especially the right side is more worrisome and has thicker rust I would inspect that area VERY closely, pehaps even do some probing with an ice pick.

The first few pics aren't awful and treatment with some Ospho or Evaporust Gel would clean that up followed by a frame paint. The rear; especially the right side is more worrisome and has thicker rust I would inspect that area VERY closely, pehaps even do some probing with an ice pick.
Thanks. I’ll be under there tomorrow. I’m just trying to avoid any structural issues. I guess the leaf spring mounting points are another point of concern.

Back