1960 neutral safety switch location?

E

electrictech

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello

Thanks for allowing me to join the Forum. I have just purchased a 1960 Thunderbird convertible. I cannot start the car unless I push the shift selector hard to the left. Am I correct in thinking the neutral safety switch needs adjusting? It will also start in neutral and found out today that it starts in reverse. I have a shop manual but it does not tell me where it is located. I also have to push the selector hard to the left to get the top to come down. I have adjusted Safety switches on my AMCs but don't know where it is on the Ford.

Can someone point me in the location of the switch?
I will take pictures and post them.

Thanks for the help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello

Thanks for allowing me to join the Forum. I have just purchased a 1960 Thunderbird convertible. I cannot start the car unless I push the shift selector hard to the left. Am I correct in thinking the neutral safety switch needs adjusting? It will also start in neutral and found out today that it starts in reverse. I have a shop manual but it does not tell me where it is located. I also have to push the selector hard to the left to get the top to come down. I have adjusted Safety switches on my AMCs but don't know where it is on the Ford.

Can someone point me in the location of the switch?
I will take pictures and post them.

Thanks for the help.
It is on the steering column, under the dash, top side and is a semi curved plastic piece with seven or so wire connections. The plate is retained by two screws, and the plate has a slot for minimal adjustment. Sometimes you can succeed in fixing your problem, but the main culprit may be in the 'slop' in the shift lever. The lever itself, the split pin that retains it and the ball and ridge at the end of the lever may be worn or the shift collar itself need investigating. Many replace the shift detent plate which helps a little. Since you are a new owner, DO NOT leave the car running while only in park. The loose shift lever may decide to drop into reverse. Be sure to set the parking brake if you must leave the car while it is running. Best to tighten up the items I've mentioned as well as the shift lever at the bottom of the column and the linkage at the transmission. Once all is tight, you can experience Low gear by selecting "L"

Back