1960 binds up after car warms up

D

Daniel budziak

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have 1960 tbird with stock cruiseamatic that after running for about 15 minutes is will bind up when I drive forward or reverse from a stop. It will free up then drives fine but makes a lot of noise when it's binding. Has anyone had this problem before. It's not in the brakes or drive shaft .

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your subject "1960 tbird cruiseamatic" does not summarize your post. Please choose a subject in the future so people know what your post is about on future posts. I will revise.
model-year-TBF (1).jpg

How is the fluid looking/smelling? Is this now suddenly happening, or was any maintenance performed?

Sounds like a good time for a transmission rebuild.

Check the Brakes-That sounds like it could be a rear shoe that has grease on it.

Check the Brakes-That sounds like it could be a rear shoe that has grease on it.
I took it on a steep hill and went down forward and back in neutral and was holding then let go of the brakes and it didn't bind at all and was smooth taking off so it told me it wasn't in the brakes or dive shaft or u joint. Only does it when I put it in gear

How is the fluid looking/smelling? Is this now suddenly happening, or was any maintenance performed?
I changed the fluid and filter and it didn't help. I'm just wondering if it could be trans bands or maybe a torque converter problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely a valve body or clutch issue.

How was the old fluid looking? Any debris in the pan and/or on the magnet?
Was any maintenance performed before this problem started?

I suggest a trans flush see if it makes any difference prior to rebuild

What usually happens is the rear wheel seal will leak Differential Fluid onto the Brake lining and will bind up the brakes when cold. when the grease warms up from driving and/or applying the brakes, it will free up and release!
Check this out since it is one of the easiest evaluation and repair.

Back