1959 Trunk Rust Repair

Dragonfly80

Dragonfly80

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just bought a 1959 it needs major TLC just saw that it will need major restoration on the inner trunk the edges are rusted out. Anyone know where I can get a new part or how I can fix it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you post to the forums please choose a meaningful title. I will revise now.

My 1964 Hardtop needs a new trunk. In my case, you can buy the panels from any number of Thunderbird parts houses, and have someone welded them into place. There will come a time when I do exactly that on my car, and most likely replace the gas tank at the same time. I just checked a Mac's catalog (because it was close by) and don't see them -- but I know I HAVE seen them, as I know there are three pieces -- left, right, and center. So check around.

Just a quick check -- Bird Nest in Oregon has them.

BTW, something else to check. I know on the 1964-66, there is a rear vent. There are two drain hoses that allow any water that gets in, to drain through the hoses and out the bottom of the car. The hoses rot, water gets in the trunk, and voila! Rusty holes all over the trunk. Your car might not have this, but it's wise to try and find out how water got there in the first place.

Back