1959 Tires and wheels

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Currently I have 15" tires with American Racing mag wheels on my car. While the wheels are very cool, I do not think they go with the car. I would like to convert back to stock wheels which were 14". So my question is when it comes to tire sizes I've read that stock tires for that year were 195/75R/14. That seems a bit narrow to me but wanted to ask all of you with more experience your thoughts. I was thinking somewhere around 225/75R/14 would be more suitable. I've also thought about changing to wire wheels but having trouble finding those in 14". Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• 32203342-1959-ford-thunderbird-std.jpg
    32203342-1959-ford-thunderbird-std.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Currently I have 15" tires with American Racing mag wheels on my car. While the wheels are very cool, I do not think they go with the car. I would like to convert back to stock wheels which were 14". So my question is when it comes to tire sizes I've read that stock tires for that year were 195/75R/14. That seems a bit narrow to me but wanted to ask all of you with more experience your thoughts. I was thinking somewhere around 225/75R/14 would be more suitable. I've also thought about changing to wire wheels but having trouble finding those in 14". Any thoughts on that?
My '57 runs 205/75R/14. Yah the 195 does sound a little narrow. Wire wheels look cool but are as hard to clean as a crystal chandelier and are heavier than stock steel wheels so you will have more unsprung weight which will effect the ride & handling especially compared to the alloys you have now.

My '57 runs 205/75R/14. Yah the 195 does sound a little narrow. Wire wheels look cool but are as hard to clean as a crystal chandelier and are heavier than stock steel wheels so you will have more unsprung weight which will effect the ride & handling especially compared to the alloys you have now.
205 makes sense. I like that. Good tip on the wire wheels. Not only the cleaning but the ride. I had also thought of just going with steel wheels and wire hubcaps. The stock hubcaps fora 59 are kind of boring. Thanks

I purchased by 59 with American Racing mag wheels which I do not think go with this car at all. So I want to replace the wheels with factory wheels and factory hubcaps for the original look. I've already asked about white wall tires earlier and plan to follow your previous advice and go with Diamondback 215/75R/14.
My question concerning the wheels is this; I found OE wheels on Summit Racing (14x6x4.50) and the back space says 4 inches. I've searched my manuals thoroughly and there is no mention of backspacing for the wheels. I did confirm that 1959 T-birds had 14" wheels and a 4.50 bolt pattern so I'm good there. And Diamondback recommends a wheel width between 6.00" - 7.00" so I think I'm good there. I am concerned about the back spacing as they come in several depths. Any opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back