1959 j code 430 engine swap for 1996 ford 460

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I live in Canada and 430 parts are impossible to get.
I love the car and wish to drive it for many years to come.
Has anyone attempted to install a newer model ford 460 into a 1959 J code, 430.
regards: Ben.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Because the 352 FE was the standard engine any FE would be the most likely candidate. A 429 or 460 are of a different engine family, the 385 Lima series. There are certainly 406, 427, and 428 FE engines but you would pay a premium price for a premium engine. There are many 352 and 360 engines available. They should be the cheapest and in my estimation the least desirable. A more ideal choice IMHO would be the 390 FE. A 390 will deliver more power with better economy than the 352. A plus would be the transmission and accessory compatibility. Be advised that mid sixties FE engines did see a change in motor mounts. Good luck, J.

I live in Canada and 430 parts are impossible to get.
I love the car and wish to drive it for many years to come.
Has anyone attempted to install a newer model ford 460 into a 1959 J code, 430.
regards: Ben.
I'm here in PA and have had 9 430's over the years and presently have 4. I've never found it impossible to source parts or a machine shop who could do any required machine work on the 430's that I've rebuilt. Rather than modify things to get another engine to fit, let me know what parts you are needing.
Carl

MEL 462ci is completely different engine than later 385 Series 460ci engine.
MEL 462 will bolt into vehicles that originally had MEL 430ci engine.
MEL 462 was used in 1966-1968 Lincoln Continental cars only.
MEL engines have in-block wedge combustion chambers similar to Chevrolet 348/409 engines.
Torque monsters.
I would do the 1996 engine and build a 572ci monster. Or buy a 572 crate engine from Ford.

I'm here in PA and have had 9 430's over the years and presently have 4. I've never found it impossible to source parts or a machine shop who could do any required machine work on the 430's that I've rebuilt. Rather than modify things to get another engine to fit, let me know what parts you are needing.
Carl
I really would like to do a complete rebuild. I love the car and, if possible, would rather keep her original. Trying to find pushrod for the last month. I found 8 at rockauto, so 1/2 way there. Unless I find a complete rebuild kit, no rebuilder here will take on the job, frustrating as heck. Thank you for your reply and input. Ben.

Parts for MEL 430/462 engines were always scarce. Especially speed parts. Only hands-on experience I have with the engine was decades ago at Lee Miller's Austin shop Performance Incorporated on North Lamar where Lyndon Johnson had his personal white Lincoln Continental coupe worked on to let him outrun Secret Service on Texas Ranch Road 1. Big old torque engines.

I really would like to do a complete rebuild. I love the car and, if possible, would rather keep her original. Trying to find pushrod for the last month. I found 8 at rockauto, so 1/2 way there. Unless I find a complete rebuild kit, no rebuilder here will take on the job, frustrating as heck. Thank you for your reply and input. Ben.
I can understand the rebuilder wanting all parts on hand before starting the job. Here is a company-
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...teid=0&campid=5338236430&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

can provide a kit for the '60. If you contact them they may have a kit for your '59. The 430 is a very robust engine and until it is dismantled and evaluated you don't know exactly what parts are needed. I've used Egge Machine to supply specific parts, but the pistons they supply are flat topped and do not have the raised domes used on the 430. This means a compression loss that may be important to you, but it also enables running on non hi-test gas. There is a lot of discussion, about the 430 on the MEL forum. If you're not familiar with it, have a look Much info provided by folks who have been where you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
try some of the odd specialty suppliers. *****************, Bird's Nest, Big M auto wrecking (they specialize in Mercurys). I am sure there are many more. Is there a particular reason the push rods need replacement?
good luck J.

try some of the odd specialty suppliers. *****************, Bird's Nest, Big M auto wrecking (they specialize in Mercurys). I am sure there are many more. Is there a particular reason the push rods need replacement?
good luck J.
Looks like a gorilla decided to play with them. Quarter inch pieces ground out of mist of them, virtually ALL are bent, and different lengths, some are 1/8" longer than others. Crazy thing is, the engine still runs great, just started to smoke really bad. Compression is down to 110, suppose to be 190.

Back