1957 wiper shaft seal leaks

1957Bird

1957Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Curious how much of a project it’s going to be to stop water from intruding around wiper shaft areas??
Thanks
Roger

It's not the 2.00 part, it's getting under the dash to disconnect the wiper arm and remove the nut that holds the wiper on. I hope you're a small person.

It's not the 2.00 part, it's getting under the dash to disconnect the wiper arm and remove the nut that holds the wiper on. I hope you're a small person.
There is a nut just under the wiper arm that holds the chrome bezel mount to the body. I don't think there is a need to get under the dash according the exploded parts diagram.

That’s what I was hoping.
Guess I’ll order up the parts and put that on my winter list, as it’s getting to be that time up here in the north east.

I assume you are talking about the outside wiper arm mount. Casco has them part # 17541 $2.38ea made of leather.
Ford used these leather "washers" or seals for quite some time. My '65 Ranchero uses the same little leather piece. I am not quite sure what SRE is referring to when he references going under the dash. When I have replaced these and I need to do it again after the last time about 20 years ago, I remove the wiper arm. After that I unscrew the octagonal nut. As the nut is removed if you do not hold on to the wiper shaft it can drop down into the under dash area. A piece of tape or some other "kludge" will hold it up. Then remove the shallow nut and et it aside all the while making sure the shaft does not disappear. Reomove the ovalish chrome piece and you will see the leather or the remains of it, I add again in every step you need to make sure the wiper shaft does not disappear. It can be retrieved but why work that hard? The wiper mechanism has a locating slot. install the leater seal, gasket or whatever you wish to call it orienting it with the tang that goes into the bodies slot. Replace the chrome cover piece. finally reinstall the nut. Tighten snugly but gently and you are done. I also point out that the nut may be corroded and now is also a good time to replace the nut if needed. Another side I wish to add is; if you are installing electric wipers the New Port kit fits well. However it is my opinion they used a dash that was out of the car to design it. Attaching the "clips" that hold the underdash wiper arms may require left handed or ambidextrous abiltiy and small hands would also be helpful. Lastly regarding the New Port Engineering kit; you will need a shaft extender for the dash switch. Good luck J.

Thanks all
All good info
Took a look at it yesterday, found that the retaining nut was very loose. Took it apart, leather seal/gasket looked like new.
Touched up paint on sealing surface last night, reassembled today with a bit of black RTV on the gasket. Thinking that I should be good to go.
Guess I’ll find out next time I rinse her off.
Thanks again:)

Thanks all
All good info
Took a look at it yesterday, found that the retaining nut was very loose. Took it apart, leather seal/gasket looked like new.
Touched up paint on sealing surface last night, reassembled today with a bit of black RTV on the gasket. Thinking that I should be good to go.
Guess I’ll find out next time I rinse her off.
Thanks again:)
Ahh, I was wondering why you found it. I figured that it was not likely you were driving in the rain.

Back