1957 Water Pump leaking. Reseal or replace?

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Water Pump is leaking towards bottom gasket to engine block-Just reseal or Replace Pump ? [only 600 miles on Restoration]

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Here is a post about an improved water pump and spacer-

Last edited:
Water Pump is leaking towards bottom gasket to engine block-Just reseal or Replace Pump ? [only 600 miles on Restoration]
For all the trouble you’re going to go through to replace the ceiling might as well replace the pump to

Typically, there is a weep hole in the bottom of the casting under the shaft. It could be a bad shaft seal. The coolant would flow down the casting giving the appearance of a leak at the seal. RnR is easy and takes a few hours, mostly to remove everything to get at it. If you replace it or keep it, use a Permatex type of silicone gasket sealer.

Your leak is probably from the seal in the pump shaft and not the gasket for the water pump. The best fix it to replace the pump. You can have your pump rebuilt, but it is going to be quicker and easier just to replace it.

I agree with the majority. It's the pump shaft seal. And another advantage is that most of the suppliers have re-designed pumps that increase the flow for better low speed cooling.

Since your water pump is leaking, for $157.00 CASCO sells a water pump that is modified for higher output. I used this water pump with the standard spacer and I noticed that there was coolant flow at idle where there was none before. It also lowered the temperature of my engine by 15%.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
It would also benefit you to install the new style spacer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would also benefit you to install the new style spacer.

I've seen the write-ups on that. Double whammy and a larger throat thermostat couldn't hurt. Mine is under control as I live in the pacific northwest and rarely have temperatures that could stress the cooling system. But I did replace the pump a couple of years ago with the upgrade.

Back