• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 4th of July Special Offer **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

1957 Transmission Fluid & oil dripping

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just got my 1957 Tbird on Sunday! Hurrah!

Now after driving on Sunday and tucking it in the garage safely noticed some drips on the floor the next day Yes I know it's 67 years old and some minor drips may be part of the deal, but I don't want to ignore anything that might cause a bigger issue.

Checked and both tranny & oil levels are full.

While checking the underside and wiping off the oil pan and transmission pan and casing I noticed the converter housing has an rectangular opening with no cover, I can insert fingers into the opening and feel internal parts. Is this opening supposed to be covered or open?

Please advise on what is normal for 1957 Ford-o-matic transmission and 312 V8 drips and most likely places to look. Already checked the oil filter and oil pan plug. All looks good there. Also plug on transmission fluid pan seems snug.

Thanks for your advise.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just got my 1957 Tbird on Sunday! Hurrah!

Now after driving on Sunday and tucking it in the garage safely noticed some drips on the floor the next day Yes I know it's 67 years old and some minor drips may be part of the deal, but I don't want to ignore anything that might cause a bigger issue.

Checked and both tranny & oil levels are full.

While checking the underside and wiping off the oil pan and transmission pan and casing I noticed the converter housing has an rectangular opening with no cover, I can insert fingers into the opening and feel internal parts. Is this opening supposed to be covered or open?

Please advise on what is normal for 1957 Ford-o-matic transmission and 312 V8 drips and most likely places to look. Already checked the oil filter and oil pan plug. All looks good there. Also plug on transmission fluid pan seems snug.

Thanks for your advise.
More likely than not it is the rear main seal on the engine. As long as you keep a check on the fluid levels you should be OK. The oil leak is just a nuisance. The seal can easily be replaced. I recommend using the neoprene seal

Back