1957 Temperature Regulating Valve (P/N 18502) - how to access?

Boozeman

Boozeman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
At some point, someone eliminated the Water Control Valve (P/N 18495) on my car. Bought a new one and installed it yesterday, along with a new vacuum hose. I ran the hose through the firewall, but I can't figure out how to access the Temperature Regulating Valve (P/N 18502) on the heater core to attach the vacuum line. Do I need to disassemble the blower assembly from the heater core in the engine bay to access this valve, or do I access it under the dash? None of the manuals, restoration manuals, etc. are much help here. Any and all help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The vacuum heat-control valve should be under the dash, between the metal heater box and the cardboard/plastic (aftermarket) heater plenum. Trace the control cable from the dash heater-control lever to the control valve. You can install a cable-operated manual valve under the hood, near the firewall, and eliminate the vacuum control. If you want to do the latter, send PM, and I will provide details.

The temperature regulating valve is located inside the heater plenum under the dash. Remove screws holding heater plenum and slide the plenum towards the driver’s side to expose vacuum control valve. Remove the vacuum lines, slide cable and the regulating valve.

Since you already purchased the water control valve it seems like you want to keep it original. Hill’s Automotive sell a rebuilt valve for $99.95 plus a $50.00 core charge. If you want to go with a manual valve like 55blacktie suggested, CASCO sells a manual heater control kit for $59.52.

Here are the manual heater conversion instructions.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Manual Heater Conversion Instructions.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm old school and if I can resurrect the original I'll always go that way. But I understand going to the manual systems and they seem to work otherwise they wouldn't be so available.

Thank you all for your help! Managed to get in there last night only to discover the valve missing. Thank you Doug7740 for the information ablut the valve that Hill's sells. I ordered one this morning. Looking forward to having the heater working as designed again!

Anyone have a jpg of the mounting of the 18502 valve? I am confused on where to mount it. Thanks

Back