1957 Steering box lubrication

Update on steering box lube. In taking the vent plug out, it was dry as a bone and actually had rust on the bottom of the cap...
Ralph

Ralph, Just how do you take the vent plug out? Mine just kind of sits on the top and swivels but does not pull off. Do I force it?

Thanks, Jeff

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Jeff, the vent cover is attached on the top of a 1/2 threaded cap plug that I just unscrewed with a wrench,

Jeff, the vent cover is attached on the top of a 1/2 threaded cap plug that I just unscrewed with a wrench,
Took out the whole plug, just as you said. Mine was very low. Thanks.

I am rebuilding my steering control valve on my 1957. After removing the pitman arm from the control valve ball stud, I twisted the pitman arm, and notice it has a bit of play in it. And, the movement did not feel like it is cushioned by lubrication. Is there a way to add lube to the steering box without complete disassembly? I know in old Chevy's the top plate attaching bolt holes were not blind, and extended into the steering box. You could take out a bolt and inject in some grease. Is this possible on the baby birds?
I will plan to adjust the bolt on the top of the box to lessen any movement.
Comments would be appreciated.
Ralph
I am also working on my 57E and the PO had no clue as to what maintenance was. I checked the steering gear box, as I restored mustangs for years and found almost all had never been serviced or greased. The 57 was dry and I had checked it by removing the 4 bolts on the box top and removing the adjuster nut, being careful not to let the adjusting screw move. I used gear oil and some grease before re-assembling the box. Once I can get it out and drive it again, I'll see if it needs adjustment.

Attachments

• 20210829_160735.jpg
    20210829_160735.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220318_180956.jpg
    20220318_180956.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Back