1957 speedometer cable removal & replacement at trans..

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I think my nylon driven gear has broken. I managed to get the retaining bolt off but can't get the cable out. I have small hands but can't quite reach it to pull it out of the trans. to inspect. There is absolutely no room under there. Then how do you get the darn thing back in and get the retaining bolt started?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

As I remember, I just grabbed the cable and it came right out then I had to reach inside (needle nose plyers???) and pulled out the nylon gear. But, it was a long time ago. Standard transmission..

That's interesting, I can't remember what holds the gear in. I'll call my trans guy tomorrow. But here's the only pics I have. 20181127_111225.jpg20181127_111225.jpg20190709_172157.jpg20190709_172253.jpg

It's a '57 with auto trans. the cable goes straight in from the side. No 90 deg. turn just a sweep around the 'X' of the frame. I could barely get my wrench up there and 1/5th of a turn at a time on the retainer bolt. From the parts catalogs it appears there is a retaining clip to hold the gear onto the housing. I just haven't figured out how to get any leverage on the cable as I think there is a rubber seal on the end helping holding it in.

57's used a completely different gear (below) than a 55 or 56 (as shown above). It attaches to the cable via a clip - assuming te trans has not been been changed to an earlier unit
B-17271D1.jpg

That's it it's either an 18 or 19 tooth gear Don't know why there were two so I need to see it if I order a new one. I just need to get the cable out and then I can bend it around to check and replace the gear from under the frame.

That's it it's either an 18 or 19 tooth gear Don't know why there were two so I need to see it if I order a new one. I just need to get the cable out and then I can bend it around to check and replace the gear from under the frame.
I got mine through ebay. They have all kinds of different tooth counts. Just be sure the teeth are oriented the correct way.

I finally got it to move but only 1/2 the way. It slid easily once I got my hand up through the back side by the muffler. It's hanging up on something.

Finally got the cable housing out. I put it in neutral and released the parking brake and spun the driveshaft while pulling. Now the new gear has a bit more meat on the teeth so it may take a bit to engage the driven gear. Is it easier to insert the drive cable now or when it's in the transmission? Oh, and is it safe to start it and put it in gear and run freewheel while on the jack stands to test?

Last edited:
I got the drive in but trying to insert the keeper bolt is driving me crazy. I've been wrenching since I was a teenager. Being on jack stands I have to contort to get my hands up there and not be able to see what I'm doing. All touch and feel. Gave up after an hour or so to get back at it tomorrow. Should be simple if on a high lift but a real pain closer to the ground.

Back