1957 Speedometer cable length

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Please don't post in ALL CAPS. Edited post.

WHAT does it matter i didn't use any more ink

What I did when replacing my cable after it broke was to put it end to end with a generic cable with a crimp able end and used it as a template and put the crimped end into the gear on the transmission many years ago. Been working well since with plenty of the proper lube of course.

As an alternative you can buy a ready made cable from a T-bird supplier.

As an alternative you can buy a ready made cable from a T-bird supplier.
Well mine just broke again. The suppliers have only the whole assembly. I can get a replacement core for <$10 at NAPA. Would still be interesting if somebody has a reference to the length.

Ward, I just went and measured an inner cable I have hanging up from a 55 with fordomatic and it measures 42-1/8". With the stop on the speedometer side 1"from the end

Ward, I just went and measured an inner cable I have hanging up from a 55 with fordomatic and it measures 42-1/8". With the stop on the speedometer side 1"from the end
Thanks Tater, I think the '55 is a different length than the '57. But NAPA stocks a 100" replacement cable so I know it's long enough and can cut down before crimping the end on.

I think I got the stumbling problem solved. Dirty points. Pulled the speedometer cable from inside and no frayed ends. now thinking it's the driven gear at the transmission. They are nylon and mine maybe gave up. Time to jack it up and take a look. Maybe replace my windshield washer pump while I'm under there. More time under it than in it driving.

What is the problem or problems ward? If you remember Doug's posts on speedometers, it may need only oiling the head or possibly cleaning and oiling the head. Biddle is there a way you could link Doug's awesome info to the thread?

What is the problem or problems ward? If you remember Doug's posts on speedometers, it may need only oiling the head or possibly cleaning and oiling the head. Biddle is there a way you could link Doug's awesome info to the thread?
I just had the speedometer rebuilt less than a year ago. It doesn't have the oil issues of the earlier ones. I could spin the input by hand so I know it's not frozen and was working perfectly just before I stopped to chat.

Back