1957 socket identification

Jimehrke
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Merry Christmas to all! Does anyone know if this socket is for the headlight dimmer or which dash light it goes to? It's ion my '57 bird.
bird dashlight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Merry Christmas to all! Does anyone know if this socket is for the headlight dimmer or which dash light it goes to? It's ion my '57 bird.
View attachment 25659
I suppose that if you ground the socket and try the dimmer switch you can see if that is the proper placement. Otherwise turn on the ign. switch you can also suss out its proper home. Under the dash is there an empty socket receptacle? Good luck it should not be too complicated to find out the culprit.

I suppose that if you ground the socket and try the dimmer switch you can see if that is the proper placement. Otherwise turn on the ign. switch you can also suss out its proper home. Under the dash is there an empty socket receptacle? Good luck it should not be too complicated to find out the culprit.
Good idea. Sometimes those sockets can be hard to find with just your fingers. I can't count the number of times I've dislodged them fiddling under the dash. Do apply die-electric grease to all fittings. All the different metals in the bulbs, holders and mount cause galvanic corrosion.
Trying every circuit to see what lights it is a good way to trace it's origin. The dimmer switch too.
Oh a wiring diagram with color codes would be valuable.

Good idea. Sometimes those sockets can be hard to find with just your fingers. I can't count the number of times I've dislodged them fiddling under the dash. Do apply die-electric grease to all fittings. All the different metals in the bulbs, holders and mount cause galvanic corrosion.
Trying every circuit to see what lights it is a good way to trace it's origin. The dimmer switch too.
Oh a wiring diagram with color codes would be valuable.
Amen to the dislodging when trying to work under the dash. I still need to replug my generator ( now alternator ) bulb. It has been out for a couple of years and it is one of the easiest to re-plug. As I am not nearly as flexible as I was 25+ years ago it is not as easy as it once was.

Amen to the dislodging when trying to work under the dash. I still need to replug my generator ( now alternator ) bulb. It has been out for a couple of years and it is one of the easiest to re-plug. As I am not nearly as flexible as I was 25+ years ago it is not as easy as it once was.
Thank goodness I'm only 5'6" and slim at 68yrs old. When working under the dash I've found it's best to put my legs up on the backrest and butt on the floor or seat when tinkering. The tough part is untangling and getting back out.

That reminds me of the old days of Friendship 7. Astronauts used that same position in launch.
I have had issues getting up in there and found, as much of a pain it is, that removing the bench seat gives my 5’10” frame a much more comfortable working position without too many gyrations. The transmission tunnel still remains an obstacle but the seat is not that bad a job too remove especially for a longer term project

That reminds me of the old days of Friendship 7. Astronauts used that same position in launch.
I have had issues getting up in there and found, as much of a pain it is, that removing the bench seat gives my 5’10” frame a much more comfortable working position without too many gyrations. The transmission tunnel still remains an obstacle but the seat is not that bad a job too remove especially for a longer term project
The brake pedal is my biggest issue when under there. It's right where I want to put my head while I have room to move my arms. laying on my side constrains my arm movement. The defroster plenum I have to re-connect every time. This spring I'll look to see where it should be to be to be out of the way. Probably just stuff it up high on the firewall. Getting good at removing the radio for more room to work.

View attachment 25659
I can't get a good look of the wire color from your picture, but if the bulb is for the high beam indicator lamp the wire color should be green with a black band.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 25659
I can't get a good look of the wire color from your picture, but if the bulb is for the high beam indicator lamp the wire color should be green with a black band.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Hi, I appreciate all the replies, yes, the high beam wire is green with black stripe, my problem is there are several different dash lights that were just dangling, and one looked like the one photo that I posted the others look like this one, and some don't have current to them. the high beam with the black strip has this photo attached to it so since there is only one looking like the old photo I was just wondering if iit should be the high beam since I don't think one of the previous owners wired it properly because it appears to be all new wiring, I had to replace some of the pigtails because they appeared to be cheap and when I took the bulbs out the spring and retainer also fell out. I ordered new pigtails form ebay photo attached. thank you all for input. Jim

Attachments

• 57 bird dash light.jpg
    57 bird dash light.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • p[gtails.jpg
    p[gtails.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 6
Back