1957 should I unzip window before lowering the top?

poser
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, Have installed a new convertible top. When putting the top down, should the window be unzipped first??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The answer is yes in order to prevent a crease in the middle of the window.
Do you fold the top and then roll the windows to prevent the crease

I've never had an issue over the 35yrs the top has been installed just leaving it zipped. What you should look into isinglass conditioners. Boats are loaded with the stuff so if you go to something like West Marine, and they should have what you need to protect and preserve the window. Keep the vinyl conditioner for the top away from the window.

I usually roll up a large beach towel and lay it across the window where the plastic would crease. No problems so far.

I usually roll up a large beach towel and lay it across the window where the plastic would crease. No problems so far.
That is an excellent practice and keeps the window from abrading against itself and causing micro scratches due to small pieces of grit, etc. I did the same thing for decades with my C1 and C2 Corvettes; a towel works or you can buy a convertible top "pillow" which provides more "bulk" to prevent creases. This one may fit a T-bird, but no personal experience:

BTW - early Corvette convertible windows do NOT even have zippers and with care I have never had an issue with damage over decades of up/down cycles in Orlando weather. And yes, the marine and aircraft industry has some exellent polish/preservative products for plexiglass with 3M being one of the more notable vendors.

Last edited:
Back