1957 rear top latch repair

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
On my 1957 one rear latch on the hard top has a broken spring and the soft top does also. I have the springs on hand and just wondering if there is any particular way to replace them or will it be obvious once I get the covers off. I need to clean and polish them anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have this issue. I'm trying to remove the lower pin from the handle shaft. there is also a fitting on the handle itself but could just be a roll pin. The set screw is stuck solid. I've given it a lot of PB Blaster and just tried some heat from a heat gun. Any other ideas?

I still have this issue. I'm trying to remove the lower pin from the handle shaft. there is also a fitting on the handle itself but could just be a roll pin. The set screw is stuck solid. I've given it a lot of PB Blaster and just tried some heat from a heat gun. Any other ideas?
I've not paid much attention to my latch stuff but mine don't even feel like they have a spring. Where does the spring go? Is there any downside to not having the spring once the top is on the car and snugged down?

I've not paid much attention to my latch stuff but mine don't even feel like they have a spring. Where does the spring go? Is there any downside to not having the spring once the top is on the car and snugged down?
I really don't think so as it's been this way as long as I can remember. But one on the soft top is also broken and the handle drops down when stowing and I didn't catch it for a couple of years and left a dent in the clear window.

I finally got the latch off. CASCO's restoration shop suggested I use a #1 screwdriver bit hold then the hold the bit tightly in the screw head with a set of Chanel Lock pliers and turn the screw out with a 1/4" wrench. I also used a dab of screwdriver helper ( which is a kind of fine sand mixture ) to help keeping the bit from slipping.
Now I just have to drive out the roll pin out under the bottom of the handle to take the stud off. I believe the spring is under the handle between the handle & mounting plate. 20220706_153443.jpg

I finally got the latch off. CASCO's restoration shop suggested I use a #1 screwdriver bit hold then the hold the bit tightly in the screw head with a set of Chanel Lock pliers and turn the screw out with a 1/4" wrench. I also used a dab of screwdriver helper ( which is a kind of fine sand mixture ) to help keeping the bit from slipping.
Now I just have to drive out the roll pin out under the bottom of the handle to take the stud off. I believe the spring is under the handle between the handle & mounting plate. View attachment 23139
A follow up. Was able to drive out the roll pin and release the stripped-out stud. The spring was not broken but there are keeper holes in the handle and mounting plate. There was so much play that the spring came out of the mounting plate and the keeper hole filled with debris. I'll re-assemble with a thicker washer on the stud to account for the wear and tear of the fiberglass and replace the rusted and stripped stud and latch pin with a new spring I bought years ago.
Once done I've got the same problem with a latch on my soft top now that I know what I'm dealing with.

Back