1957 Rear deck antenna wiring

57DukeofAle

57DukeofAle

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What is the proper way to route the antenna wire from the rear deck location to the radio?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does it have to be the 'proper' way? They were/could be dealer installed and placement might vary with the installer.

I've got a neighbor with one. He told me the trunk mount antenna wire on his '57 goes straight forward to just under the rear deck, where it is fastened with a spring clip slipped onto the edge of an existing oval hole in the rear deck framing. Photo 2, not the same '57.
It travels to the left/drivers side of the car held up by a few more spring clips on the existing oval hole edges. Then the cable turns down and follows the tail-light wiring to the front of the car.
trunk antenna, no plate.jpg20230221_165534[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen two placements, nearly identical to what is on mine. One from a gentleman who has owned his mostly original '57 since the early 60s, so I'm inclined to believe it is original routing from new. The lead is spring clipped towards the passenger side (2 clips) into the space where the outer trunk sheetmetal meets the reinforcing structure. It then routes through the trunk hinge and runs up the passenger side under the carpet. From there I presume it just runs across to the radio. If I can find pictures I will post.

I've seen one other '57 with rear antenna that used modern cable clips, but it followed the same routing.

On my car it runs forward to the rear deck (as described by dmsfrr) then is spring clipped under the deck, running to the passenger side, behind the trunk hinge and under the carpet towards the firewall. Mine has a loop under the carpet because it is too long, maybe meant for a full size Ford. Then it emerges at the firewall at the hump and goes to the radio. My car was restored in the 1980s so may not be original? I'm thinking about getting spring clips and rerouting mine to match the above routing, but have not done so.

I presume these all run to the passenger side to avoid any potential for electrical noise from the rear wiring harness that runs on the drivers side.

Attachments

• IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Al
A valid point. The old AM radios could pick up static & interference from almost anything.
Also, isn't the port on the radio on the passenger side? It would make sense to run it up the right side and avoid all the moving parts and congestion under the dash on the driver's side.

Back