1957 Ran out of fuel

H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Ran out of fuel. Filled up. Starts, Runs. Once in drive, goes few minutes then cuts out.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Could be many causes. Sounds like debris clogging fuel line or filter. Have you changed the fuel filter? The carb filter stone? Have you disconnected the fuel line and forced air back to the tank? Is your fuel filter bowl going dry? Check fuel pump. Usually when you run dry it’s debris in the tank clogging something up. Also check for sticking float. Good luck.

All well said… check your fuel pump pressure as well.. I believe it needs to be around 4-5 psi..but double check that reference. I have been involved lately with 50 psi fuel injection so the correct number escapes me

The old carbs like about 5-1/2 lbs of pressure in most cases and yes, you picked up some sludge/rust off the botton of the tank when you ran it low, now its prob clogging up things. Pressure and volume are NOT the same things so test your fuel pump pressure AND volume - a simple $18 vacuum gauge is also a pressure gauge - the test procedures for fuel and pressure are in the attachment. Best done outdoors with a fire extinquisher around. If the fuel pump and filter check out you may have no choice but to break open the carb and clean things up. Also most old fuel tank pickups have a "sock" filter on the intake.....if the fuel pressure is low it might be worth pullding the sending unit to see if that piece of fabric is clogged.
Preessure_Volume_test_1.jpgPreessure_Volume_test_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran out of fuel. Filled up. Starts, Runs. Once in drive, goes few minutes then cuts out.
Today’s wonderful fuel has is mixed with ethanol that will deteriorate most all rubber. You are probably going to have to remove gas tank, rebuild fuel pump, replace all rubber lines with neoprene rubber parts. If the fuel filters have rubber in them, this will have to be done. Also the gas fill rubber line.

Today’s wonderful fuel has is mixed with ethanol that will deteriorate most all rubber. You are probably going to have to remove gas tank, rebuild fuel pump, replace all rubber lines with neoprene rubber parts. If the fuel filters have rubber in them, this will have to be done. Also the gas fill rubber line.
Don't forget the rubber parts in the carb.

Don't scare the guy. Most likely a clogged uptake in the tank. I just wonder why he was pushing the limits of his fuel gauge. I never let it go below 1/3 to keep the fuel fresh enough and I did run out once but no harm done and never again. These cars need to be driven. 'Use it or loose it' is a well-worn axiom for a reason.

Back