1957 Power Steering Noise When Turning Left

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
fordomanic
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am getting a high pitched noise (NOT from the belt) in my '57 D code when turning left under throttle. Not happening when driving straight or making either turn under light throttle; and not doing it when turning right under heavier throttle but is happening only when I turn left and mostly under heavier throttle application. For example, if I am stopped partway into an intersection waiting to left left, then give it gas to make the turn it will make the loud/high pitched noise. PS fluid level seems to be fine and has does not appear to change over time (i. e. no apparent leaks). I assume it is a problem in the power steering pump but would appreciate any insights before I send it for rebuilding. Thanks in advance. Dave.

Just a possibility, The slave cylinder seal could be bypassing when turning left. This would allow fluid pressure on both sides causing the high pitch noise.

Thanks for your observation - I will investigate that possibility. Would there be any external signs of the seal failure (seepage/leakage, etc.) on the slave cylinder or would it be strictly an internal issue?

Also, would the situation you described cause noise from the pump or the slave cylinder?

I guess a better description of the noise is in order. You say it's not belt squeal but are you sure? metal to metal screech? If the slave cylinder is feeding back could it be locking up the pump causing the belt to squeal? Does it happen only when moving?
When sitting in neutral revving the engine and turning left any reactions? How about in gear doing the same but sitting still with your other foot on the brake? Open the hood when doing this and see if your engine is moving due to a bad motor mount and something is scraping. It's hard to describe a noise in writing.

With this type of steering assist the external seal almost always has seepage. Half of the cylinder ram is always exposed to the elements until you turn right. The seal will then wipe the ram clean and if there is any pitting that will damage the seal. Also as said previously the control valve may be out of adjustment. The stops in the steering box also may be out of adjustment. Also the fluid just might be a little low because when you turn left, that is when you need the most fluid. You may want to search for a mechanic that actually knows about this type of steering assist. That may be hard to find though. Good luck.

I am getting a high pitched noise (NOT from the belt) in my '57 D code when turning left under throttle. Not happening when driving straight or making either turn under light throttle; and not doing it when turning right under heavier throttle but is happening only when I turn left and mostly under heavier throttle application. For example, if I am stopped partway into an intersection waiting to left left, then give it gas to make the turn it will make the loud/high pitched noise. PS fluid level seems to be fine and has does not appear to change over time (i. e. no apparent leaks). I assume it is a problem in the power steering pump but would appreciate any insights before I send it for rebuilding. Thanks in advance. Dave.
Sounds like a power steering pump issue, the control valve wouldn't cause the noise. If the the belt is good and proper tension, Sounds like pump. Needs rebuild or replaced

Back