1957 possible purchase - not matching

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking at a 57 running car with 289 motor . Needs some body work but looks like most of car is there .

Is it a bad idea to buy a non matching car ? - not looking for show car & will probably make this a project with some restoration & paint

Thanks

289? Should be a 292 or the optional 312. As far as I understand the 312 was introduced in 1956.

How much is the car? That's a vital variable.

Basically it is what YOU want. A lot of old cars do better in value with a different drivetrain. HOWEVER this is not one of them. 55-57 thunderbird's generally speaking are worth more in the end as original. I know this may get 75 different responses but in the end, the bottom line is what YOU want. Have fun

Personally I wouldn't buy it. How are you supposed to get help online if you have issues with the car? I guess the Mustang forums? The odds of finding another Thunderbird owner with a Mustang engine is so low. Selling the car one day could prove to be a real challenge as well since the number of potential buyers is lower because it has a different engine.

Looking at a 57 running car with 289 motor . Needs some body work but looks like most of car is there .

Is it a bad idea to buy a non matching car ? - not looking for show car & will probably make this a project with some restoration & paint

Thanks
Perhaps since it is non matching you can offer less. 10-11K. I paid 15K for my 57 with all matching numbers, no body work necessary and a paint job that looked good at 20 feet. (Maybe 25). I changed all the fluids, boiled out the gas tank and she was running. 289 is a pretty easy engine to work on and parts may be more accessible. Rear seal on the 312 are a bitch to get right because it is a rope seal as opposed to a rubber seal. I’ve had to redo mine twice. For the right price it will be a fun car to drive around even with a 289. Good Luck

Again, it depends on you. I would look hard at the conversion work. Were the original engine mounts cut off, or were they adapted. Could an original engine and transmission be put.back in?
Unless it had a hard to find engine in it originally I personally wouldn't worry about it. It would probably make a nice driver.

The 289 is alots better motor than the older one one of the best motors Ford has ever made to date . I have a 302 in my 60 t bird plus the tranmission are some of the best c4 also .

289? Should be a 292 or the optional 312. As far as I understand the 312 was introduced in 1956.
That's true but I learned that at the end of 1955 T-Bird production Ford used the 312ci, not sure if it was the last 1 or last 200?

That's true but I learned that at the end of 1955 T-Bird production Ford used the 312ci, not sure if it was the last 1 or last 200?
Where did you learn of this information? Can you supply documentation that Ford put a 312 in the last 1 or last 200 Thunderbirds at the end of 1955 production?

Since Ford offered a 292 in 1956 (P-Code) and a 292 in 1957 (C -Code), why would they put a 312 in the last 1 or last 200 Thunderbirds at the end of 1955 production?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Code Table.jpg

Back