1957 Parking Brake Handle Cable Replacement

D

dustymtn

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have experience on the process to replace the cable in the parking brake handle?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does anyone have experience on the process to replace the cable in the parking brake handle?
Been a while since I have done one. You need to remove the cable from under the car first and then unfasten it at the dash bracket. There is a pin pressed into the park brake handle shaft. You need to remove it. The handle can then be pulled out far enough to clear the housing. The inner cable will have a ball end which fits into a slot in the handle shaft. That will release the inner cable from the shaft. Be sure to reinstall the pin in the handle shaft before reattaching to dash and under car. Probably 50 years since the last one I replaced. Good luck.

Been a while since I have done one. You need to remove the cable from under the car first and then unfasten it at the dash bracket. There is a pin pressed into the park brake handle shaft. You need to remove it. The handle can then be pulled out far enough to clear the housing. The inner cable will have a ball end which fits into a slot in the handle shaft. That will release the inner cable from the shaft. Be sure to reinstall the pin in the handle shaft before reattaching to dash and under car. Probably 50 years since the last one I replaced. Good luck.
Thanks for the help! It's not obvious when removing the handle from the dash with the old, frozen cable attached..

Thanks for the help! It's not obvious when removing the handle from the dash with the old, frozen cable attached..
Best to remover the whole assembly from the car. You have to be able to pull the handle assembly completely out of the housing to get to the inner cable. Lots of penetrating fluid and patience should do it.

I am replacing and refreshing several items on my 1956. I am replacing the firewall insulator along with the wiring harness. I needed to remove the parking brake handle and assembly from the dash. It came out easy for me. I removed all the bolts and fasteners and then I removed the end of the cable from the operating shaft. there is a ball on the end of the cable that comes out of the operating shaft and then the whole thing just pops out of the car. Pretty simple.

Best to remover the whole assembly from the car. You have to be able to pull the handle assembly completely out of the housing to get to the inner cable. Lots of penetrating fluid and patience should do it.
Yep, I removed it, & found that when the the handle is pushed in all the way in, there's a notch that stops it. If you lift the ratchet tab to release it, it can be pushed in further, exposing the ball. I've added a photo of the notch, & the ball socket, making it easy to swap out ball ends. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 7
Glad you got it figured out. As I said, it has been many years since I did it on a T Bird.

Back