1957 painting the Transmission

Steve Springer

Steve Springer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Should an automatic transmission in a 1957 Thunderbird be painted???? When I pulled the engine the transmission was a pale green. Also the bell housing.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think they were all aluminum. Not sure why yours has paint

On my 1955 air cooled Ford-O-Matic transmission, only the tail shaft is aluminum, the rest is cast iron. I put a clear coat on the cast iron sections of the transmission to keep them from rusting.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Bell Housing.JPGTransmission.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Should an automatic transmission in a 1957 Thunderbird be painted???? When I pulled the engine the transmission was a pale green. Also the bell housing.
When you post to the forum. Please follow the directions and prompts for your subject "Transmission" does not summarize your post or contain the modwl year. Revising for you now.

model-year-TBF.jpg..

When out for engine rebuild recently, my bell housing was bear cast iron, transmission showed signs of having been ford (engine) blue and tail alum, so that’s how I refinished it.
bell housing got Eastwood cast iron paint, trans got ford blue and tail slim was cleaned.
4168A067-CEB5-4836-8F3B-65E0C8C21652.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached are two transmission pictures I found
RestorationManual.jpg

Hope this helps.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back