1957 Left Side Fresh Air Vent Control Adjustment

G

goldenberg57

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
I had the dashboard out of my ’57 recently to replace the main wiring harness and replace the lens in the instrument cluster. After I put everything back together I noticed that the driver's-side fresh air vent seemed to operate in reverse. When the knob is in the vent is open. And when the knob is out it is closed. It didn’t behave that way before I had the dash out. Is there a secret to how to adjust / align the control valve that is enclosed inside the fender duct so that it operates correctly?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It's a pretty basic push-pull mechanism. I can't imagine how they got it reversed if they only worked on the control end. I'd look at where the cable connects to the actuating lever that protrudes from the inner fender and look at the geometry.

Did you remove the inner fender ductwork? I had mine in and out three times before I got it correct. It is critical that the flapper is installed in the proper orientation for it to work correctly.

Mine is the same
I believe it’s normal
REALLY! ? Pushed in the vent should be closed. When pulled the vent should be open. It just makes common sense. To open something you 'pull it open Then you push to close'. Somewhere the geometry of the vent is reversed.

REALLY! ? Pushed in the vent should be closed. When pulled the vent should be open. It just makes common sense. To open something you 'pull it open Then you push to close'. Somewhere the geometry of the vent is reversed.
How does yours work?

I guess it’s like the front fender side trim
Can be made to go either way
the butter fly valve must have been installed upside down
mine will remain that way

I noticed that where the cable attaches to the flap control arm at the fender the arm can be raise about 1/2". Is it possible that you can adjust the position of the arm on the vent flap by raising it and turning it 90% the lowering it again? Hence changing the angle of the flap as it relates to the arm position. Or is the flap arm permanently attached to the flap inside the duct?

It figures mine would be backwards
My front fender trim was installed upside down
I flipped one correct and left the other as is
Haven’t decided which way I like it.F9DA4CDE-50C3-4C18-A670-441A5F5380AA.jpeg

Attachments

• 7BB8EDD2-A2DF-4CB5-8008-44C1681444CB.jpeg
    7BB8EDD2-A2DF-4CB5-8008-44C1681444CB.jpeg
    815 KB · Views: 5
Back