1957 Ignitor II - Spark plug

C

cscolastico

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good afternoon all. I'm doing some work on my 1957 T Bird and was thinking about replacing the spark plugs while I have some things out of the way. When I purchased the car it was equipped with an Ignitor II ignition. Was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion as to what spark plug to use with this set up.

Thanks

Good afternoon all. I'm doing some work on my 1957 T Bird and was thinking about replacing the spark plugs while I have some things out of the way. When I purchased the car it was equipped with an Ignitor II ignition. Was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion as to what spark plug to use with this set up.

Thanks
model-year.jpg

I am using stock plugs and gap although I have heard that some guys are opening the gap a few thousands over Ford specification.

Manual calls for .032"-.036"gap.
Ive seen alot running at. 05".
I have mine set at .042". But yet to crank it!
Sorry can't be more helpful

Probably the only way to tell if increasing the gap has any positive effect would be to run the engine with stock gap and record the fuel mileage then increase the gap 5 mils and remeasure the gas mileage. Either that or put it on a dyno. Measuring fuel mileage would be the cheaper way to go.
Let us know if you see any differences.

I've used the Pertronix products since their inception, Ignitor I, II and now III. Use the stock plugs with stock gap...
You will see no benefit to increasing the gap beyond specs.... If anything it takes more potential electrical energy to produce a spark across a wider gap and if anything is marginal in the ignition system this could create issues...

Thank you gentlemen, this has been very helpful. Since the Ignitor was installed by a previous owner, I wasn't sure whether it needed different plugs. Thanks again.

Back