1957 how to interpret high paint thickness reading

vernz

vernz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just had an inspection completed on a 1957 Fairlane Skyliner (yes, I know it isn't a Thunderbird but the question is equally applicable) and the inspector could not get a reading on the left quarter panel. Some other areas had readings that were indicative of minor ( 6 mils ) body filler being present. This car reportedly had a body off restoration 10 years ago. I was surprised that someone would go to the trouble and expense of a body off restoration then use any appreciable amount of body filler. My question is, how concerned should I be about body filler being present on a restored car, especially when the meter couldn't identify how deep it was? How reliable are the paint thickness meters? Is the padded magnet check a good second way to check that panel? The car looks fantastic and there is no evidence of bubbling or other failure of the filler. This is the only part of the inspection that gives me pause about making an offer. Thanks, Vern

Well it depends on your perspective. A frame off restoration doesn't mean it shouldn't have any filler. You are looking at a car north of 60 years old. Replacement panels are not available for all old cars and most times you have to work with what you got.
You say that the car looks perfect, so the job was done right. Looks at it from underneath and in the trunk and maybe that will tell you the extent of the damage.
Me? I wouldn't worry about it. Buy it and enjoy it. Drive the wheels off of it. Show us pictures.

I've watched a lot of car restoration shows, and body filler is used, when necessary, to achieve perfection. However, when the quantity of filler required exceeds a skim-coat, repair/replacement of the panel is called for.

Keep in mind that some lead filler was used during manufacturing, and a magnet won't stick to lead.

My 55 has been in the family for 50 years. My dad had it stripped to bare metal and repainted (with lacquer) soon after purchasing it. Although I won't be able to verify it until it goes to the shop for new paint, he said that no Bondo was used, but some areas got new lead.

I have watched car restoration shows on tv and they dump 5 gallon buckets of filler on cars. And those are considered “restorations”. Don’t worry about it unless it’s got huge holes filled with bondo. All old cars got bondo I don’t care what the ads say.

I went to look the 1957 Skyliner over today and went over almost every inch of the left rear quarter panel with a magnet. It stuck like a champ everywhere. I'm not sure what the inspector thought he saw. The owner was with him at the time and showed me exactly where the inspector thought he had an issue. No issue was noted. Anyhow, it did follow me home!! Sorry to pollute the Thunderbird forum with these pictures. 74 Harley was interested in seeing it. I'll probably rue the day I bought this, but it is an E-code engine with dual teapot carburetors.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 6
  • left half open.jpg
    left half open.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 6
  • right front open 2.jpg
    right front open 2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 6
  • right side closed.jpg
    right side closed.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6
I went to look the 1957 Skyliner over today and went over almost every inch of the left rear quarter panel with a magnet. It stuck like a champ everywhere. I'm not sure what the inspector thought he saw. The owner was with him at the time and showed me exactly where the inspector thought he had an issue. No issue was noted. Anyhow, it did follow me home!! Sorry to pollute the Thunderbird forum with these pictures. 74 Harley was interested in seeing it. I'll probably rue the day I bought this, but it is an E-code engine with dual teapot carburetors.
Speaking for myself only...so glad you
Speaking for myself only...I am delighted that you were able to share this story
/photos with our group...thanks so much...you are going to have "fun
, fun, fun with no T bird to be taken away!"

Beautiful car! You will have many happy miles with it. Thank you for sharing!

Back