1957 hardtop restoration DIY help

DaveH
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, I'm new to the Forum but not to Tbirds. I recently acquired a Hardtop that is in need of a full restoration. After cleaning the top I found some interesting features that someone could maybe explain. First off let me say that I am reasonably sure that this is an early Porthole top. I had no reference as to the vehicle it was attached to, I bought it at a swap meet. The latches that I got with the top are the early style. One main question I have is that it appears to have 5 sets of bow support holes -- but its a Porthole Top. Porthole Tops are supposed to have only 4 bows. So do all Tops have 5 bow mounts with the ones closest to the Porthole being ignored? Or could this Top have had the Portholes added? Does it matter, are the front 4 bows the same as on 5 bow tops? Another question I have is does anyone have a good reference for Hardtop restoration procedures? I have found a couple threads on here about parts of tops, mostly weatherstrip installation and rear windows, but I'm looking for other topics like Headliner installation, maybe even some Fiberglass repair suggestions. A full restoration procedure article or book would be nice but it could be in the form of Threads or outside sources of documentation or videos.
Oh, one other thing I found that I'm curious about is that after cleaning the inside of the top I found a number that looks like a stamp in Green Ink. Does the number 557442 mean anything to anyone? Does that sound like a part number or did they possibly serialize the tops when manufactured? Any guidance is greatly appreciated, Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    683.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2746.JPG
    692.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2747.JPG
    IMG_2747.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    801.1 KB · Views: 24

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

CASCO has (or had) a video on headliner installation. If CASCO doesn't have one any more, check with the other suppliers as they may have a copy for sale. Regarding the ribs, it is possible that some added portholes to a non-porthole top. The number may have been a manufacturers number, not a Ford part #. Lots of things for the early TBirds were made by outside manufacturers, including the body itself.

CASCO has (or had) a video on headliner installation. If CASCO doesn't have one any more, check with the other suppliers as they may have a copy for sale. Regarding the ribs, it is possible that some added portholes to a non-porthole top. The number may have been a manufacturers number, not a Ford part #. Lots of things for the early TBirds were made by outside manufacturers, including the body itself.
If I recall from other threads, under the headliner there was a factory part number paint stenciled on the underside of the top.

The information that you are looking for can be found in the back issues of the EarlyBird magazine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Chart.jpg
Headliner 1.jpg
Headliner 2.jpg
Headliner 3.jpg
Headliner 4.jpg
Headliner 5.jpg
Headliner 6.jpg

Headliner 8.jpg
Headliner 9.jpg
Headliner 10.jpg
Headliner 11.jpgHeadliner 12.jpg
Headliner 13.jpg

Attachments

• Headliner 7.jpg
    Headliner 7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
This is not so great news for me, but great instructional info. My car is a 57 w/Production Code date of "Nov 56" so this top's Deck Latches will have to be changed to the Straight 180' style. One other thing that I need to investigate is that the pics in the Headliner Job show an inner spacer ring around the Portholes. My Top does not have those. Are they a permanent part of the top or something that is held in place by the Porthole Rings? I have a Porthole Kit that came with the Top, I'll have to look closer at it's contents.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the Forum but not to Tbirds. I recently acquired a Hardtop that is in need of a full restoration. After cleaning the top I found some interesting features that someone could maybe explain. First off let me say that I am reasonably sure that this is an early Porthole top. I had no reference as to the vehicle it was attached to, I bought it at a swap meet. The latches that I got with the top are the early style. One main question I have is that it appears to have 5 sets of bow support holes -- but its a Porthole Top. Porthole Tops are supposed to have only 4 bows. So do all Tops have 5 bow mounts with the ones closest to the Porthole being ignored? Or could this Top have had the Portholes added? Does it matter, are the front 4 bows the same as on 5 bow tops? Another question I have is does anyone have a good reference for Hardtop restoration procedures? I have found a couple threads on here about parts of tops, mostly weatherstrip installation and rear windows, but I'm looking for other topics like Headliner installation, maybe even some Fiberglass repair suggestions. A full restoration procedure article or book would be nice but it could be in the form of Threads or outside sources of documentation or videos.
Oh, one other thing I found that I'm curious about is that after cleaning the inside of the top I found a number that looks like a stamp in Green Ink. Does the number 557442 mean anything to anyone? Does that sound like a part number or did they possibly serialize the tops when manufactured? Any guidance is greatly appreciated, Thanks, Dave
It was not uncommon for early, ie. 1955 tops to be retrofitted with portholes when they became available in 1956. I would hazard a guess that there wer available templates for proper installation location. If everything appears to be an early top except the portholes I would tend to believe the portholes were an addition.

Back