1957 Gas Filler Door adjustment

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The gas filler door on my '57 seems to fit too far in from the surrounding body. Maybe over a 1/4" at the top. I see the door is held on by 3 pin screw nuts, I can feel 3 more screws holding the door spring clip bracket to the body,, but not sure if you can get to them, or if they are adjustable.
There must be a way to adjust the door fitment, but I need help on how to do that.
Thanks, Ralph

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The gas filler door on my '57 seems to fit too far in from the surrounding body. Maybe over a 1/4" at the top. I see the door is held on by 3 pin screw nuts, I can feel 3 more screws holding the door spring clip bracket to the body,, but not sure if you can get to them, or if they are adjustable.
There must be a way to adjust the door fitment, but I need help on how to do that.
Thanks, Ralph
I just checked mine and I think you have to unbolt the lid from the spring hinge and then you should be able to access the Phillips screws that hold the hinge to the body and adjust it.

I must be doing something wrong. I took off the door today, and could not get to the bracket attaching screws. Used short screwdriver, angled drivers, and long screwdriver. Nothing got close. Bent up the bracket the door attaches to, and got very frustrated. Tried to pry the bracket with force, nothing budged.
I really can't believe this engineering.
Will leave looking crappy and with additional chipped paint.
Will now have a stiff drink.
Ralph

I must be doing something wrong. I took off the door today, and could not get to the bracket attaching screws. Used short screwdriver, angled drivers, and long screwdriver. Nothing got close. Bent up the bracket the door attaches to, and got very frustrated. Tried to pry the bracket with force, nothing budged.
I really can't believe this engineering.
Will leave looking crappy and with additional chipped paint.
Will now have a stiff drink.
Ralph
I have the same issue. I have removed and replaced the hinge but it hasn’t helped. There is no adjustment on the hinge. It is attached with short slot head screws that have nuts on the top that are accessible through the trunk. A small flat screwdriver holding the screw while turning the nut is the best way, I believe.
I’m going to try shimming the gas door but I’m concerned that will cause the it to contact the body when open. I’d love to hear a solution.

Back