1957 Fuel & Vac braided lines and fittings

SoloBird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone here replaced all the fuel and vacuum lines with stainless steel braided lines and fittings?

If so, please share some pics to see how it looks and share the sizes and info you used.
I am trying to figure out all the fitting and hose sizes. I cannot find the name of the brass elbow fitting that goes from the back of the intake manifold to the fuel pump vac line. It seems like it is this fitting part. I don't have power brakes right now, but I guess the vacuum line from that would go to this fitting as well.

I am also putting in a new distributor, but my original one was a hard-line steel tube that screwed into the vacuum advance that went to the carb. The new distributor has its vacuum advance port for a flex vac hose style. What fitting and size do I get to put a flex hose on to the carb to go from this new distributor?

57Tbird4150Carb.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have not personally seen anyone use real braided lines for vacuum. They are designed for high pressure, not vacuum.
That being said I have seen braided slip on covers put on vacuum lines but the ends never seem to look right.
Most vacuum advance lines are 1/8 inch.

At least on mine, the rubber vacuum line from the pump and through the firewall is re-enforced but all the others for the wiper and heater are not. .

I am doing a 1957 I bought a complete restored chassis. Everything was new or rebuilt. Whoever did the restoration they used stainless steel line. I had to replace all the brake lines with ORIGINAL material because I could not stop the leaks. The same with the stainless steel vacuum lines, I used ORIGINAL lines because I could not stop the vacuum leaks. Sometimes it just best to leave things alone. Stainless is very hard to flare and seal.

I am doing a 1957 I bought a complete restored chassis. Everything was new or rebuilt. Whoever did the restoration they used stainless steel line. I had to replace all the brake lines with ORIGINAL material because I could not stop the leaks. The same with the stainless steel vacuum lines, I used ORIGINAL lines because I could not stop the vacuum leaks. Sometimes it just best to leave things alone. Stainless is very hard to flare and seal.
CASCO even makes a point to sell connectors specifically for stainless steel brake lines.

Are you going to park the car on the street, are you going to drive to work in it every day, drive in the winter when it's snowing. Pobably not. It will be inside, taken out and driven in nice weather, maybe only on weekends. There is no need for stainless steel anything. One of the 1st cars I restored is a 1968 Mustang F/B. I did this car in 1988.Still have it, the lines and exhaust system look the same way they did when I restored it. I just don't see the need.

What kind of flex house are you going to uses from the carb to the distributor. If it is the uual black vacuum hose, just cut the end off the end that goes to the carb, leaving about an inch or two of the steel line at the carb fitting to attach the rubber hose.

Just to make sure we are not confusing things, I am talking about braided PTFE hoses. These are Teflon lined stainless steel flex lines.

Back