1957 fuel pump connections

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No need to add "Tbird" "Thunderbird" etc to your subject since we are all Thunderbird site. Do you have service manual?

The one is labeled wiper, the other goes to intake. See below20210505_204905.jpg

Attachments

• 20210505_204857.jpg
    20210505_204857.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210505_204909.jpg
    20210505_204909.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Thanks for the great photos. I see that you are not using the wiper vacuum side of the booster. Assume you have gone to electric. My engine has a tee connection at the wiper motor and another hose which runs to a valve which I assume acts on the heater flow. Does your engine have this and are you suppling vacuum to this valve in some other way? My car has had an engine swap. There is a 1961 292 engine in it, therefore the vacuum system is different. My booster is connected to a tee with the PCV valve. I am removing the valve as I can’t get the engine to idle with it in place. The new carb I installed was for the old 1957 style engine which did not have a PCv valve. Sorry for the long story.

I just haven't got around to testing the windshield wipers, I'm also missing the heater control valve at this time. I'll see if I have some orginal pictures. You may want to start a new thread about the heater.

Thanks,great photo. The tee connection has a 1/8th line from the booster pump.what is connected to the 1/4 line?

Is the black item directly below the tee connection what is called the “ draft tube”?

Thanks,great photo. The tee connection has a 1/8th line from the booster pump.what is connected to the 1/4 line?

Is the black item directly below the tee connection what is called the “ draft tube”?
The line on the right (thicker one) goes to my brake booster. The one on the left goes to the fuel pump ( the left connection on the pump - not the "wiper connection"). The black item is indeed the top of the down tube

The title doesn't quite fit for my issue. The other day for some unknown reason my fuel pump started leaking at the intake connections. Not sure it it's the 'L' fitting going into the pump or the hose going into it. Have to remove the fan shroud and unbolt the P/S pump to get to it. Arghh. It worked great when I had rebuilt the pump and installed, it then decided to piss after a few hundred miles. Drips but away from any heat or fire.

Thanks for the great photos. I see that you are not using the wiper vacuum side of the booster. Assume you have gone to electric. My engine has a tee connection at the wiper motor and another hose which runs to a valve which I assume acts on the heater flow. Does your engine have this and are you suppling vacuum to this valve in some other way? My car has had an engine swap. There is a 1961 292 engine in it, therefore the vacuum system is different. My booster is connected to a tee with the PCV valve. I am removing the valve as I can’t get the engine to idle with it in place. The new carb I installed was for the old 1957 style engine which did not have a PCv valve. Sorry for the long story.
I see by the photos that you have blanked the vacuum side of the pump. This is not good as it puts strain on the diaphragm. Rubber tube connecting both relieves this.

Back