1957 Fuel Filter spring

J

jsonny

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm changing the fuel filter and noticed the new filter rest on the bottom of the glass bowl. When I removed the old one, it did not have anything supporting the filter. Is there something missing that supports the filter to the top of the inlet/outlet metal top?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm changing the fuel filter and noticed the new filter rest on the bottom of the glass bowl. When I removed the old one, it did not have anything supporting the filter. Is there something missing that supports the filter to the top of the inlet/outlet metal top?
Also, I from the different photos, the filter is shown with the metal part of the filter on the bottom of the bowl and another shows it on the top where the inlet/outlet lines are. Which is correct?

It floats. When the glass container fills with fuel, the new filter should rise somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish my car were here but it's off getting a new exhaust system.
As far as the filter I have a new one in my collection. There is the filter and a rubber gasket. It's been a long time since I changed it But the rubber gasket goes into the housing and the filter is secured in place by that with the closed end down.
It shouldn't free float as that would allow non filtered gas around it instead of through it.

Nothing on my 55 assuming the 57's are the same

I finally found an AC (made in USA, rebuilt in USA!!) with the glass bowl. It comes fit with a mesh atop around the "center pipe which fills the bowl with gas". No filter there as I presume this mesh is enough to retain the larger debris. Nevertheless, I have installed an in-line filter (plastic, transparent) after the pump to ensure no fine debris can get to the carburetor. And even more, I installed an in-line filter (also plastic transparent) after the tank and before the hose connects to the metallic pipe to the pump. So, with these preventions, you should not need any additional filtering inside the crystal bowl, avoiding the disassembly (of the bowl, for cleaning) and finally damaging the gasket which keeps it sealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The filter is supported by the filter bowl gasket. Install the new filter element with the paper side towards the fuel filter housing and install the new gasket over the filter element being careful not to fold or kink it. Make sure the gasket fits evenly in the recessed channel of the filter housing.

Here are the fuel filter installion instructions I wrote for CASCO that are included on their website.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Fuel Filter.jpg

Back