• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 4th of July Special Offer **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

1957 fluid leak at power brake assist end plug

Rbyrd
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Had the power assist unit rebuilt, and have a small brake fluid leak from the large threaded end plug. Shop manual calls for a gasket, rebuilder used a copper crush washer, but the coverage from ID to OD is only 1/8". Called larry's thunderbird in So Cal, they don't have a part for this. Still leaks at full torque.
Is it supposed to be a crush washer, or a gasket, any idea on where to secure the replacement? You can see the copper crush washer between the housing and the bearing face of the threaded plug bolt.
20240526_113348.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Most good parts stores have a box of the copper washers of various sizes. Have you tried snugging it up a little more?

As far as I can tell, based on the Parts Diagrams in the 1949-1959 Ford Car Parts and Accessories Catalog, it's part number 2154, and is available at all the usual places (CASCO, TbirdHQ, Concours, etc.). Probably a stock item at NAPA, too.

I had a devil of a time getting mine to stop leaking. Reluctantly I wound up using an impact gun on it to finally stop the leak.

Had the power assist unit rebuilt, and have a small brake fluid leak from the large threaded end plug. Shop manual calls for a gasket, rebuilder used a copper crush washer, but the coverage from ID to OD is only 1/8". Called larry's thunderbird in So Cal, they don't have a part for this. Still leaks at full torque.
Is it supposed to be a crush washer, or a gasket, any idea on where to secure the replacement? You can see the copper crush washer between the housing and the bearing face of the threaded plug bolt.
View attachment 31408

I had a devil of a time getting mine to stop leaking. Reluctantly I wound up using an impact gun on it to finally stop the leak.
Thanks, used some gasket seal and that helped, but that's a temp fix. Im going back to original part and try again

Back