1957 E code Carburetor recommendations

rhinote46
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Gentlemen, I just got a restored 57 E code with under 10k miles on it and I’ve driven her around 20 miles. I just this morning started her up and have a smoking issue. Turned it off and checked the oil to discover gasoline smell in the oil, I fear the carbs are leaking gas. Should I rebuild the old original carbs or replace with new upgraded models and which ones should I choose? Thanks, Russ

if you are proficient at carb rebuilds I would suggest doing it, if you have no previous back ground or experience I would send them to a carb expert. or replace with new or professionally refurbished carbs.

Better check your fuel pump.... they often leak into the oil pan

You have not mentioned any back firing or engine run-on. Perhaps this is not the culprit. I agree with 56white that checking you fuel pump is a good place to start. When I hear hoof beats I look first for horses, not zebras. It could be zebras but not
good luck to you, J.my first thought.

I just had my E carbs rebuilt by Daytona Parts. When they were installed by my mechanic, they were leaking all over. I took them back and when we opened them, they were full of glass beads. Apparently, the PO had beaded the fuel lines and the residue stuck the floats open and clogged the system. I was told any debris can do this, so pop the top and check the fuel bowl to see if minute particles have gotten past the filter. If you need a rebuild, they even pin the reducer inside the carb, where Ford only tacked it in place. They have a bad habit of coming loose and drop into the motor. If you call them, Tim can give you a great education on the E carbs.

Attachments

• 20190125_140257.jpg
    20190125_140257.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thanks to all for your replies, I’m going to have them professionally rebuilt and check the fuel bowl.

I recently read about someone replacing the dual Teapots with small-base Cadillac carburetors, but I don't know what their advantage is. A carburetor expert might be able to tell you. If you are going to show your car, I would keep the Teapots. If you are going to drive it, put the Teapots away and use the best carburetors available. Often, people with multiple carburetor eventually switch to a single 4-barrel. In some cases, a single 4-barrel will perform as well or better w/o the headaches.

I recently read about someone replacing the dual Teapots with small-base Cadillac carburetors, but I don't know what their advantage is. A carburetor expert might be able to tell you. If you are going to show your car, I would keep the Teapots. If you are going to drive it, put the Teapots away and use the best carburetors available. Often, people with multiple carburetor eventually switch to a single 4-barrel. In some cases, a single 4-barrel will perform as well or better w/o the headaches.
The average value of a 1957 E code Thunderbird is $75,200 and the average value of a 1957 312 single carb Thunderbird is $42,800. The 1957 duel carb E code Thunderbird engine produces 270 horse power. I don't know what the advantage of switching to a small-base Cadillac carburetor would be in terms of horse power, but in terms of value it devalues the car by $32,400.

Since there were approximately 1,328 E-Birds assembled in Dearborn.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Gentlemen, I just got a restored 57 E code with under 10k miles on it and I’ve driven her around 20 miles. I just this morning started her up and have a smoking issue. Turned it off and checked the oil to discover gasoline smell in the oil, I fear the carbs are leaking gas. Should I rebuild the old original carbs or replace with new upgraded models and which ones should I choose? Thanks, Russ
I know a few owners of E-birds. Many of them have removed the dual carburetors and replaced them with a single four venturi Holley carburetors as they are more reliable and less a tuning issue. Just don't get rid of the dual manifold, air cleaner and linkage. You will want them if and when you decide to sell the car to get full value. Unless you are going to judged shows and need authenticity you will be happier with the single carburetor.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you decide to sell the tpots please let me know

I just bought a 1957 T-B and want to detail the engine bay. What color paint should you use on the fan shroud? I'm thinking semi-gloss black?

I just bought a 1957 T-B and want to detail the engine bay. What color paint should you use on the fan shroud? I'm thinking semi-gloss black?
you should not piggy-back on some ones else's posting, especially if it's a different subject. Start a new post

Back