1957 Defroster Duct Hose Installation Trick

Rogvh

Rogvh

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know a trick to installing 1957 defroster duct hose? Mine seems like the hose ID is smaller than the steel duct. In other words it doesn't want to slide over the steel duct. I realize there's a hose available that clamps over the steel duct but I would prefer using what I have first.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you got it from one of the regular suppliers it should fit. Slow and just a little bit at a time. There are little steel fingers that stick out to keep it on. A little finesse is needed to get it on over those.

Does anyone know a trick to installing 1957 defroster duct hose? Mine seems like the hose ID is smaller than the steel duct. In other words it doesn't want to slide over the steel duct. I realize there's a hose available that clamps over the steel duct but I would prefer using what I have first.
Following/ I have the same question.

MMM....a trick I used once to get super tight-fitting hoses onto an aftermarket A/C system in a classic car was was to find a thin plastic funnel whose diameter was slightly lareger than the steel duct and cut it lengthwise and then again crosswise on the skinny end that will fit inside the hose. - sort of making an expansion flange.

Then slide the fat end over the duct and work the hose up over the skinny end as the funnel expands ithe hose enough to get it onto the duct....then snatch the cut up funnel out by uncoling it from between the duct and hose.
It requires some maneuvering room though.

I had the same problem, and came up with an interesting replacement that worked fine. I bought a rubber vacuum hose (like from a shop vac). It fit fine, and is still in place. I know that sounds like a ghetto repair, but I prefer to think of it as MacGyver.

Back