1957 carburetor with aftermarket air cleaner

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The previous owner of my 57 312 automatic installed a non-stock carb and a non-stock air filter. I understand there is an aftermarket carb that will accept an aftermarket (like original) airfilter, and fit under the hood. I see new carbs for sale but i can't tell which one would accept the aftermarket aircleaneer. I'm more interested in dependability than concourse integrity. Any information on what and where to look would be appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just about all modern 4-barrel carburetors, regardless of brand, have a 5 1/8-in. air cleaner base and are 3.25-in. from the carburetor base to the air-cleaner base. The Tbird parts suppliers sell a Holley 465 cfm carburetor that replaces the original 57 Holley carburetor. It can be used with the OEM dress-up air cleaner assembly but requires a bypass fuel line, which they also sell. The Summit Brand 14" drop-base air cleaner assembly is less than $30. It uses a 3-inch tall paper element. I have enough hood clearance in my 55 to use the Summit air cleaner with a Holley 4150 Street Avenger 570 carburetor and a 1/2-inch phenolic carburetor spacer. You will not have enough hood clearance to use a carburetor spacer with any air cleaner that has a flat base, and the filter element can be no more than 2-in. tall. The OEM air cleaner has a drop base.

If it's an Edelbrock carb, a stock air cleaner will not fit without some modification. It's because of the fuel inlet.

If it's a Holley, and not the original, you have the same problem - howeverr, CASCO sells a kit that fixes this so the stock air cleaner will fit w/o modification

I have a replacement Holley and an original air cleaner. Had to use a rubber line for the last few inches. I'm in the process of improving the engine compartment. Bought CASCO's metal line from the filter to the carb and it doesn't come close to fitting. (the bracket that holds the filter/line is not bent) So, I bought a 5/16" brake line to form in place of CASCO's.

Back