1957 Brake Lights Out

Beseeingyou

Beseeingyou

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 1957 TBird's (Liz) brake lights are not working. The taillights work. The wiring and bulbs are good. I suspect the hydraulic switch in the engine compartment. Is that the probable cause? Anything else to check? And should I convert to an electric switch? A DIY job?
Thanks so much,
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year in your subject as it prompts, for future posts.
model-year.jpg

Yes, it's most likely the brake light switch. They are somewhat notorious for failing, especially newer ones (thank you, China). CASCO makes an electric brake light switch that you can install while leaving your original inline brakelight switch in place for appearance. When I replaced my inline switch, I found that sometimes the pressure in the brake lines was insufficient to light up my brake lights until the pedal was close to the floor, causing the brake lights to come on too late or not at all. I added CASCO's electric brakelight switch, and now the brake lights work perfectly. Other than contorting to get up under the dash, it's a very easy install. Here is a link to their switch: https://www.classictbird.com/Mechanical-Brake-Lite-Switch-Kit-1-Per-car/productinfo/13480MK/

Good luck!

the switch is located under the battery with two connecting wires. Try jumping the wires. If the brakelights work, voila! It is the hydraulic switch. That is the likely culprit. A change to a mechanical switch is not a big change. I uses a brake light switch for a late 60s Ford pickup and made a simple bracket to attach it. the switch is normal off. When you depress the brake pedal the plunger is released and makes contact energizing the brake lights.
good luck.

Yes, it's most likely the brake light switch. They are somewhat notorious for failing, especially newer ones (thank you, China). CASCO makes an electric brake light switch that you can install while leaving your original inline brakelight switch in place for appearance. When I replaced my inline switch, I found that sometimes the pressure in the brake lines was insufficient to light up my brake lights until the pedal was close to the floor, causing the brake lights to come on too late or not at all. I added CASCO's electric brakelight switch, and now the brake lights work perfectly. Other than contorting to get up under the dash, it's a very easy install. Here is a link to their switch: https://www.classictbird.com/Mechanical-Brake-Lite-Switch-Kit-1-Per-car/productinfo/13480MK/

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your terrific reply. I just ordered the switch from Casco. I love keeping her original but your mentioning that insuffuicient line pressure can make "no lights" crop up at anytime sealed it for me. Sort of like vacuum powered windshield wipers. Thanks so much again.

the switch is located under the battery with two connecting wires. Try jumping the wires. If the brakelights work, voila! It is the hydraulic switch. That is the likely culprit. A change to a mechanical switch is not a big change. I uses a brake light switch for a late 60s Ford pickup and made a simple bracket to attach it. the switch is normal off. When you depress the brake pedal the plunger is released and makes contact energizing the brake lights.
good luck.
Thanks so much for letting me know where the wires run. I'll give that a try. I ordered the Casco switch because I'm not as "McGyverish" as you are. Very impressive ! Thanks again!

I agree with testing, Mine went bad 30 years ago and the replacement ( built at that time in the USA ) and has worked great since then.

AN UPDATE: I determined that the brake lights were lighting 20% of the time with the help of my wonderful wife as my spotter. Then it had to be not enough brake fluid which some members mentioned. Today I added about 1/8 ounce of DOT 3 fluid and now I have brake lights 100% of the time! Yeehaw!! Still might install the Casco switch if I can work under the dash. I'm not as flexible as I used to be. Thanks everyone for all the great reaction and advice!

Interesting how a fuller reservoir would cure you problem especially that you didn't bleed the system. I regularly back close to a wall and can just check their function by myself.

The CASCO electric swith is great. Just touch the pedal and the brake lights go on (if adjusted correctly). I made a similar setup for my 54 Ford and my 64 Ford.

Back