1957 and 1960 looking for opinions on size of a storage building

vernz

vernz

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am currently looking for a piece of land near me to build a storage building for my current (and future :>)) cars. I'll want a few 4-post lifts for storage and working underneath and a small "office" which will be heated and cooled (I live in upstate NY). Currently I have a 1937 7-passenger Packard Twelve, 1957 Thunderbird, 1957 Fairlane Skyliner (with E-code engine),1960 Thunderbird (J-code Golde top), and 2003 50th anniversary Corvette. I am on the hunt for a 1957 Continental Mk II and 1955 Packard Caribbean.

How big should I go? Construction (I'm thinking pole barn type building) and ongoing heating/ac/taxes etc. costs favor keeping the building as small as possible while providing the space I need. Does anyone have any experience with storage buildings that would help me with a decision?

Thanks, Vern

Attachments

• right front open 2.jpg
    right front open 2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 2
  • front right 2.jpg
    front right 2.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 2
  • left side 3x4.jpg
    left side 3x4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • rear rt.JPG
    rear rt.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 1
You need a minimum of 40x60, and that will get small soon. Especially if you are going to have an office or possibly do any type of work in there.

I am currently looking for a piece of land near me to build a storage building for my current (and future :>)) cars. I'll want a few 4-post lifts for storage and working underneath and a small "office" which will be heated and cooled (I live in upstate NY). Currently I have a 1937 7-passenger Packard Twelve, 1957 Thunderbird, 1957 Fairlane Skyliner (with E-code engine),1960 Thunderbird (J-code Golde top), and 2003 50th anniversary Corvette. I am on the hunt for a 1957 Continental Mk II and 1955 Packard Caribbean.

How big should I go? Construction (I'm thinking pole barn type building) and ongoing heating/ac/taxes etc. costs favor keeping the building as small as possible while providing the space I need. Does anyone have any experience with storage buildings that would help me with a decision?

Thanks, Vern
My suggestion would be to park the cars as they would be parked in the building and measure the space to determine the size you need. Don't forget to leave room to move around the cars. I have a 50x60 building holding 6 cars and it gets tight between the cars; 40 Ford, 70 GTO, 28 Model A, 36 Ford street rod, 07 Corvette, 56 T Bird, 38 Ford. This does not leave room for an office or space to work on a car comfortably. I do not have a lift that allows for overhead storage of a car. Since you have large cars you may need more space. As someone mentioned, you can't build it too big. Good luck.

Back