1957 aftermarket 3 point shoulder belt

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to install safety belts in my 57. Is there a way to install a 3 point seatbelt that would that is both effective and also is reasonably unobtrusive? If so is it worth getting the retractor kit? My car will be strictly for my driving enjoyment and for Cars n' Coffee drive-ins. No juried shows for me. Thanks for whatever advice.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not sure a 3 point system would work very well, maybe someone else has better experience. I would think the 2 point lap belt would be fine, just use a big enough plate on the bottom.

Not sure a 3 point system would work very well, maybe someone else has better experience. I would think the 2 point lap belt would be fine, just use a big enough plate on the bottom.
It was still an option in'57 I think but mine had the mounts already there so it was easy to just attach and added a middle seat belt also but tuck it in unless needed.. I have almost every option but power seats. I would just stay with the 2 point as it's still safe for a road car.

I need to install safety belts in my 57.
Use the 4 digit model year in your subject on future posts. This aids with searches. Updated to 1957.

model-year-TBF.jpg

A friend of mine installed a three point belt system in his 57. He attached the over the shoulder strap to the rear wheel well.

I installed a three point seatbelt in my ‘55 and did so without much trouble. It’s comfortable and I’m sure affords more safety than the conventional lap belt. Not knowing if the metal framing behind the seat is the same on a 57 as it is on mine I would hesitate to say it’s possible in your case. Mark

I installed a three point seatbelt in my ‘55 and did so without much trouble. It’s comfortable and I’m sure affords more safety than the conventional lap belt. Not knowing if the metal framing behind the seat is the same on a 57 as it is on mine I would hesitate to say it’s possible in your case. Mark
Where did you mount the shoulder belt?

If not installed as designed, they could do more harm than good.
Correct. There is more engineering and geometry involved than just finding a strong spot to munt a bracket. Ever wonder why modern cars have headrests in addition to shoulder belts ?

For those of you who have installed 3-point retractable seatbelts in a ‘57: where exactly did you install the retractable spool unit? My shop called me yesterday to say that the seatbelt kit that they initially recommended won’t work because there’s not enough space with the soft top folded down behind the seat for the retractable spool unit to fit where it’s supposed to go on the floor. That seemed odd to me, since I know that others have successfully installed such units in their Early Birds.

Back