1956 trouble starting

D

DiIanni

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The car was starting as it should, but recently when trying to start the engine all I get is a clicking sound seemingly coming from the
lower area of the right side of the engine. Might this simply suggest a problem the with starter motor?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It could be one of two things. the battery or the starter. How old is the battery,

It could be one of two things. the battery or the starter. How old is the battery,
Unfortunately, I don't know the age of the battery. Thinking that it might be the battery, I did have the it on a charger for quite awhile.
I am guessing that it probably is the starter.

Engine won't turn over but gets a clicking sound. Would that probably be the starter solenoid or the starter motor??

Engine won't turn over but gets a clicking sound. Would that probably be the starter solenoid or the starter motor??
Why would you created a new thread for the same exact question 3 hours after the first one? I'm merging your duplicate post with the existing one.

Are you sure the clicking sound is coming from the area of the starter? Generally the click sound is made when the starter relay (solenoid) is engaged. The clicking can mean that there is not enough power in the battery to turn the starter or the starter is locked. If it continues to click while holding the key in the start position, then that is an indication of a weak battery, if it click once, and does not continue to click, then that is an indication of a bad starter or a loose or broken connection between the starter relay and the starter.

If you have a voltmeter, have someone check the voltage of the battery when you try to start the car. if the battery drops to les than 10 volts, it is likely the battery. try and use a set of jumper cables to a known good battery. If the car starts, your problem is the battery. If it still clicks, it is probably in the starter or cable between the starter and the starter relay. Diagnose first, replace parts later.

As a side note, it could be the starter relay is bad but that is unlikely. Many of those relays got replaced because the problem was the battery or starter. They do fail, but not often.

Back