1956 t-bird steering shaft removal tips

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know how to remove the steering shaft on a 56? I need to press apart the upper steering column hub from the tube collar assembly. I want the hub off to get it rechromed but I first need to remove the steering shaft so I can get the assembly under a press without the shaft hitting the ground. Also any suggestion on how to get the steering shaft coupler to engage the steering gear box shaft fully. When I first started I was about 2 inches from fully engaging the coupler and the shaft. I've been using valve grinding paste and working the 2 parts back and forth and now I'm about 3/4 of a inch from where I need to be to have the adjustable steering wheel feature to function. I don't see any distress on the coupler so I'm at a loss on why the shaft won't slide freely. Because using the grinding paste is painfully slow does anyone have a better idea?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I updated your subject from

"1956 t-bird steering shaft question"

To:

"1956 t-bird steering shaft removal tips"

Back