1956 speedometer cable, wheel cover clip removal

swatson999
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, all...well, we've been all through my newly-acquired 1956, fixing little minor things like brake light switchs, a minor wiring issue with the high beams, changing all the fluids and generally closing out punch list items. Two things that I could use some info on:

The speedometer cable is intermittent. In the interest of trying the simple things first, we looked at both ends but couldn't tell much, and figured to simply replace the core wire with a new one, but the one we got from Tbird HQ is about 2 inches shorter than the one that came out. It *says* it's the correct one for a 56. Any ideas on this? Maybe the restorer put in a different year's cable?

And the next is, I'm sure, a really dumb question, but I'll ask anyway...new whitewalls arriving Mon or Tues to replace the 14-year old tires that were on there :). Wheels are all off...what's the best way to remove those clips that hold the "wire wheel" covers on? I'm guessing they *do* have to come off to put a new tire on, no?

Thanks in advance for all your help! Just a few more days and she's back on the road! :)

Oh, and one more...two of the Zerk fittings on the steering mechanism were differently shaped, looked almost like a press fit rather than an NPT threaded fitting, and didn't seem to want to take grease from the plug on the gun...are they actually different? That was a puzzler...

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I updated your title from speedo, to speedometer. You'll find suggested threads better that way instead of swimsuits. Search for speedometer on the site Search or click the speedometer cable link for the lubricant.

The speedometer cable is intermittent. In the interest of trying the simple things first, we looked at both ends but couldn't tell much, and figured to simply replace the core wire with a new one, but the one we got from Tbird HQ is about 2 inches shorter than the one that came out.

The reason the cable that you purchased is 2 inches too short is because that cable requires a speedometer cable connector spring clip. You can purchase the spring clip separately at MAC's Auto Parts.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The reason the cable that you purchased is 2 inches too short is because that cable requires a speedometer cable connector spring clip. You can purchase the spring clip separately at MAC's Auto Parts.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Aha...well, that's interesting. How on earth is *that* supposed to work? :)

The speedometer cable that I purchased from CASCO was the same length as the one I removed and did not require the connector spring clip. The spring clip is supposed to fit inside of the cable housing at the speedometer end. If the speedometer head were to bind up, I would assume that the spring clip is designed to break instead of the cable.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I got this one from TBird HQ. The intent, as part of the diagnosis, was to simple replace the cable first and not the whole sleeve and everything, but clearly, if it's a different length, it won't work :). I'll ask TBHQ, maybe get the one from CASCO, *or* just try a universal cable replacement that you trim to fit and swage the end on (heck, they're only about 8 bucks).

Just for the record, though, how *is* that crazy clip supposed to attach to a cable and thence to the speedometer? Very unusual....

The spring end would fit in the speedometer head and that is the part that is designed to break. The plastic portion has the square hole that the cable would fit into and the outer diameter of the plastic portion fits into the inner diameter if the cable housing.

I would replace the entire speedometer cable and housing, because a speedometer fails either due to a lack of lubrication or a bend or kink in the housing. A jumpy pointer, along with a scraping noise, is often caused by a dry or kinked speedometer cable housing. The kinked cable rubs on the housing and winds up slowing down the pointer. The cable then unwinds and the pointer jumps.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back