1956 Power seat movement distance

G

George Clayton

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 56 has power seat. It does not appear to be going back very far. Took off the seat and frame looking for some type of blockage. It stops about 6 inches from the rear of the frame. Is that correct? How far should it travel? I feel like I am sitting with my chest nearly up against the steering wheel. All the gears seem to be working properly.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

People were shorter and skinnier back then, so they definitely did not go as far back as they do now! This has been discussed many times, however you could still have another issue.

I have not gotten to my interior completely yet but I have noticed the top rear edge of my seat back is about 3” from the car body when fully retracted. My soft top is folded up behind the seat and does not appear to be interfering with movement. Hope that can help somewhat. On the other hand if you still feel cramped behind the wheel, I can easily endorse the 15” diameter steering wheel. It took away that feeling of the wheel in my chest and my arms with limited movement and made a huge difference for me….in my opinion

The attached article describes how you can gain an additional inch + by performing a simple modification to the seat track/frame and the floor bracket.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Power Seat Modification.JPG

I have not even looked under the seat yet and remain thoroughly unfamiliar with its operations but if you can clarify one thing. The extra hole in the seat bracket: is this becoming an optional location to mount the motor ?

No, the horizontal motor is still mounted to the bracket under the seat, the second hole is drilled in the bracket on the floor just in case after modifying the seat tracks the range of the horizontal motor is affected.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Power Seat.png

Very helpful article, however my 56 has a manual seat. Will this mod help me get a little more leg room? I already have a smaller / flatter steering wheel waiting to be installed.

Back