1956 passenger side seat latch stuck

mtnbikerx
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My seat adjustment is being held up by the passenger side latch not moving. Any easy fix since there is virtually no clearance under the seat cushion? I was thinking a hook made from a coat hanger might snag the cross wire/rod connecting the driver’s side to the passenger side?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My seat adjustment is being held up by the passenger side latch not moving. Any easy fix since there is virtually no clearance under the seat cushion? I was thinking a hook made from a coat hanger might snag the cross wire/rod connecting the driver’s side to the passenger side?
Take the seat out. Then you can assess the condition of the seat mechanism.

Removing the seat is not fun; it's heavy, the top will have to come down/off, and you'll need help. Hopefully, there is an easier/better solution. The power-seat tracks can get stuck from old grease and cause damage to the seat motors. When I removed mine, I had to tap the tracks with a rubber mallet in order to move them far enough to expose the bolts that secured the tracks to the seat frame. You should be able to move the tracks by hand. A lot of WD-40 will clean out the old grease, but I'm considering leaving mine in a parts washer for a while. Fixing a manual seat should be easier.

Removing the seat is not fun; it's heavy, the top will have to come down/off, and you'll need help. Hopefully, there is an easier/better solution. The power-seat tracks can get stuck from old grease and cause damage to the seat motors. When I removed mine, I had to tap the tracks with a rubber mallet in order to move them far enough to expose the bolts that secured the tracks to the seat frame. You should be able to move the tracks by hand. A lot of WD-40 will clean out the old grease, but I'm considering leaving mine in a parts washer for a while. Fixing a manual seat should be easier.
The manual is attached with 4 bolts. The 4 bolts come from the floor pan and into threaded holes in the seat mounting. I recommend when the seat is removed run a bolt through the threaded mount with the threads on the bottom of the mount and the head on the top of the mount. You will find it much easier to re-install the seat with the 4 bolts and their threade ends facing down than trying to line op the old hold from the bottom. when the seat "pops" down use nut and washer to secure the bolt and attached seat assembly to the floor pan.

Back