• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 4th of July Special Offer **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

1956 machine shop oil filter adaptor plates

W
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Well what started 5 years ago as purchasing a car for a road trip has turned into a multiyear endeavor
Maybe I should have purchased a car already done with all the major repairs, or do I still get someone else's problems?
So a new 312 Y block, Fordomatic 3 speed trans, Dana 44 rear end, front and rear suspension, yada yada
And a ton of parts and tools to spend my wife's money on !!

But there's one very important thing that comes to mind for sharing
The aftermarket oil filter adaptor plates are crap!!!, these convert the cartridge center bolt can filters to a newer spin on style filter
These are Chinese cheap thin stamped painted sheet metal, I installed one when rebuilding the engine and after a few oil changes discovered
it started leaking from being distorted by the spin on filter, cheap flat buna seal didn't help
Pissed a 1/8" stream of oil all over my garage floor, if I was in the road it would lose oil and probably cost me an engine
Searching the internet provided info that I'm not alone with this problem, some people recommend removal and by using a
4" diameter pipe and a big deadblow hammer to bend it back and install again (NO THANKS!!!)

With a couple days design and machine shop work in my garage I made a new plate and flanged threaded nut from 6061T6 aluminum
and 303 stainless steel, it's now 5x thicker (Much stronger!!) and has a nice viton o-ring. 4 oil changes and doing well so far

A friend with a '58 F100 292 Y block has one and it's also leaking, albeit much slower than mine was20201122_160639.jpg20201122_160701.jpg20201128_144149.jpg20201128_144746.jpg20201122_160639.jpg20201122_160701.jpg20201128_144149.jpg20201128_144746.jpg
So keep an eye out if you have one of these, hopefully it saves someone a costly repair.

All be well
Bobby
Enjoy the pics!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You and the car will do fine. You have the desire and the ability to make something of it that works and makes it bette.

Nice to see someone use their American Ingenuity. Nicely done !

Well what started 5 years ago as purchasing a car for a road trip has turned into a multiyear endeavor
Maybe I should have purchased a car already done with all the major repairs, or do I still get someone else's problems?
So a new 312 Y block, Fordomatic 3 speed trans, Dana 44 rear end, front and rear suspension, yada yada
And a ton of parts and tools to spend my wife's money on !!

But there's one very important thing that comes to mind for sharing
The aftermarket oil filter adaptor plates are crap!!!, these convert the cartridge center bolt can filters to a newer spin on style filter
These are Chinese cheap thin stamped painted sheet metal, I installed one when rebuilding the engine and after a few oil changes discovered
it started leaking from being distorted by the spin on filter, cheap flat buna seal didn't help
Pissed a 1/8" stream of oil all over my garage floor, if I was in the road it would lose oil and probably cost me an engine
Searching the internet provided info that I'm not alone with this problem, some people recommend removal and by using a
4" diameter pipe and a big deadblow hammer to bend it back and install again (NO THANKS!!!)

With a couple days design and machine shop work in my garage I made a new plate and flanged threaded nut from 6061T6 aluminum
and 303 stainless steel, it's now 5x thicker (Much stronger!!) and has a nice viton o-ring. 4 oil changes and doing well so far

A friend with a '58 F100 292 Y block has one and it's also leaking, albeit much slower than mine wasView attachment 31551View attachment 31552View attachment 31553View attachment 31554View attachment 31551View attachment 31552View attachment 31553View attachment 31554
So keep an eye out if you have one of these, hopefully it saves someone a costly repair.

All be well
Bobby
Enjoy the pics!!
Good on ya! I donā€™t have that problem nor do I have a machine shop at my disposal. šŸ˜‰ well done.

Back