1956 Mechanical Fuel Pump intermittently working

G

GPF

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all yawl,
The original pump wasn't getting gas to the filter. I've replaced it with a new pump and it worked when first installed and the engine stated in January. The car then sat for four months during body work and paint.
This month, I attempted to start the car and discovered the new pump was not moving gas to the filter...yes there was gas in the tank. I couldn't find anything wrong when I removed the pump. I reinstalled it and this time I ran a test from a gas can at floor level and gas quickly filled the filter glass. I reconnected the fuel line from the tank and let the engine warm up and ran the car around the block for the first time. "High fives all around".
The next morning the engine wouldn't start. I discovered no gas was getting to the filter again. It appears the fuel pump is working intermittently.
Has anyone had a similar experience? I would appreciate any advice, recommendations or solutions to solving my problem?
Thanks in Advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check rubber line just before fuel pump, might be collapsing

Thanks for the suggestion. But since I had the pumps off and back on so may times, I had aready replaced the hose connecting the fuel line to the pump.

Hello all yawl,
The original pump wasn't getting gas to the filter. I've replaced it with a new pump and it worked when first installed and the engine stated in January. The car then sat for four months during body work and paint.
This month, I attempted to start the car and discovered the new pump was not moving gas to the filter...yes there was gas in the tank. I couldn't find anything wrong when I removed the pump. I reinstalled it and this time I ran a test from a gas can at floor level and gas quickly filled the filter glass. I reconnected the fuel line from the tank and let the engine warm up and ran the car around the block for the first time. "High fives all around".
The next morning the engine wouldn't start. I discovered no gas was getting to the filter again. It appears the fuel pump is working intermittently.
Has anyone had a similar experience? I would appreciate any advice, recommendations or solutions to solving my problem?
Thanks in Advance.
Had an issue with intermittent fuel as well and found a pin hole in the fuel line. Funny it never leaked until it leaked to the ground big time. Replaced metal fuel line along the frame rail and have had no further issues.

Had an issue with intermittent fuel as well and found a pin hole in the fuel line. Funny it never leaked until it leaked to the ground big time. Replaced metal fuel line along the frame rail and have had no further issues.
Thanks. I've been traveling but will check this weekend for a fuel line leak even though it was replaced along with the tank about 10 months ago.

Back