1956 Large nut on power steering pump bracket to water pump

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone know what the large nut is for attaching the PS bracket to the water pump. I have seen it broken off on some photos, and appears to aluminium. Does it unscrew, and what is it's purpose? It is oversized and is really tight on my '56. I am changing the water pump gasket and am curious what the purpose of the bolt is.
Thanks, Ralph

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Anyone know what the large nut is for attaching the PS bracket to the water pump. I have seen it broken off on some photos, and appears to aluminium. Does it unscrew, and what is it's purpose? It is oversized and is really tight on my '56. I am changing the water pump gasket and am curious what the purpose of the bolt is.
Thanks, Ralph
Post a photo.

Yes, it does unscrew. IMO it is oversize to provide a large face for attaching the ps bracket.

Is it part #354126-S on p.1790of the Parts Catalog? If so, yeah, we wondered the same thing when loosening the pump during replacement of the water pump spacer last weekend. Looked like a big honkin' bolt head to us, too...weird.

Just re-installed mine yesterday. The bolt seems odd sized, slightly over 1". I found nothing fit it but a crescent, which is less than optimal. Couldn't get a wrench on it with the bracket in the proper orientation. Twisted bracket to left to get crescent wrench on bolt, tightened as much as I could, then twisted bracket back into place with a bar. I am sure there is a more elegant way to do this, but it escaped me.
The bolt threads into the water in the pump inlet, so sealer is required. So, hope it is sealed
Ralph

Back